PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How fun are those manual Cruisers out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2008, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default How fun are those manual Cruisers out there?

Been considering trading my auto for a manual. Just seems like I want to reach down and slap that baby into the next gear. Feel those RPM's jump to life instead of the smooth boring automatic. Let me hear from you manual drivers.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 10:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: How fun are those manual Cruisers out there?

The manual is a good 2 seconds quicker 0-60 than than the auto in all the magazine tests. I love my manual. I just wish the engine revved higher than the 6200 RPM or whatever it redlines at.

First thing I did with my manual to make the shifting seem right was but Booger shifter bushings on and replaced the fluid with Amsoil fluid specified for the T350 tranny. This was NECESSARY to someone coming off a Mazda manual shifter. The bushings need to be replaced just to make the cable actuated shifter anywhere near as precise as a rod actuated shifter, and the fluid needs to be replaced to make the synchros less finicky about putting it into gear.

Other than that, the manual on this car is very luxury orientated. Never harsh. Almost impossible to spin the tires because engagement is so smooth. Buttery. But it still lets you drop the hammer when you need to jump in the fast lane.

If you're thinking of getting a new one, the manuals just sit on the lots collecting dust, so they can be had at firesale prices. I got my base 2007 with 25 miles on it for $13,000 even with the Lifetime Warranty on it. The date of manufacture on it was Aug 2006. I bought it in Jan 2008. So that meant it was sitting on the lot for over a year. It became more evident when I first cleaned it and realized a couple corners in the bumper had mold growing in it. (Pacific Northwest )
Old 03 Aug 2008, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: How fun are those manual Cruisers out there?

Got "two" Cruisers!
The soonercruiser, even though a 2006 NA, is manual with an AirRaid aftermarket air box. The AirRaid sure sounds great; and I like to hear it; the RPM jump is secondary to me; yes, and fun to drive.
**But, I am lovin' my 2006 auto GT Turbo more these days. At 61, I am beginning to forget to down-shift the soonercruiser at stop lights. Add to that I am trying tp put off my knee surgery for torn cartilage, I have been much more comfy and relaxed driving the auto turbo.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 03 Aug 2008, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Let me say this.
I have a 2003 PT, and a 98 Altima.
I also have a 92 Sentra which has manual steering an trans.
The sentra runs like a top after 200K. I have had multiple problems
with the PT and Altima trans sliping. I don't think I will ever buy another
auto trans if I can help it. Wish the PT was manual. I love the car but also hate it. I think I got somewhat of a lemon.
Old 03 Aug 2008, 01:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

I don't know how anyone could buy an automatic PT.

I mean seriously, these cars aren't exactly fast, nor a handler like a Miata or Mini, so the most fun I have is rowing the gears to get this little piggie moving.

Booger bushings eh? Will have to research that.

Last edited by teahead; 03 Aug 2008 at 01:51 pm. Reason: grammar
Old 03 Aug 2008, 03:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by teahead View Post
I don't know how anyone could buy an automatic PT.

I mean seriously, these cars aren't exactly fast, nor a handler like a Miata or Mini, so the most fun I have is rowing the gears to get this little piggie moving.

Booger bushings eh? Will have to research that.
Some people just don't have the option to .

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 03 Aug 2008, 03:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
... nor a handler like a Miata or Mini...
Interesting you should say that... stock I have to agree with you, but with some fat rubber and new shocks and springs mine actually out-handles both of those cars! I have a friend who has a mini cooper and another who has a Miata and both of them have challenged me on a nice twisty bit of road. Both regretted it thoroughly. Afterward I drove their cars on the road to see what I was up against. They were getting understeer at 5 mph slower than my car was taking the corners perfectly!

More on topic for this thread, the manual PT is amazing and having driven an auto I am so glad I own the stick! Great tranny for smooth driving or harsh gear changes. The short throw shifter helps too!
Old 03 Aug 2008, 07:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Talking Re: How fun are those manual Cruisers out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmodrod View Post
Interesting you should say that... stock I have to agree with you, but with some fat rubber and new shocks and springs mine actually out-handles both of those cars! I have a friend who has a mini cooper and another who has a Miata and both of them have challenged me on a nice twisty bit of road. Both regretted it thoroughly. Afterward I drove their cars on the road to see what I was up against. They were getting understeer at 5 mph slower than my car was taking the corners perfectly!

More on topic for this thread, the manual PT is amazing and having driven an auto I am so glad I own the stick! Great tranny for smooth driving or harsh gear changes. The short throw shifter helps too!
I take your word for it. I still got the stock shocks, but I put Eibachs on and my 235/245 35-series tires sure help. Maybe someday, I'll go w/the Tockicos when mine wear out. And I do plan on putting on some ST bars.

However, you have to admit, the steering ratio on these PTs are SLOOOOOW. I mean, it's like 3.5-4 turns lock to lock. Reminds me of my old manual steering '73 Dodge Challenger. I wish you can put a faster rack in these PTs.

At any rate, going off-topic, stick shifts RULE!
Old 03 Aug 2008, 08:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
I take your word for it. I still got the stock shocks, but I put Eibachs on and my 235/245 35-series tires sure help. Maybe someday, I'll go w/the Tockicos when mine wear out. And I do plan on putting on some ST bars.

However, you have to admit, the steering ratio on these PTs are SLOOOOOW. I mean, it's like 3.5-4 turns lock to lock. Reminds me of my old manual steering '73 Dodge Challenger. I wish you can put a faster rack in these PTs.

At any rate, going off-topic, stick shifts RULE!
Gotta agree with you about the rack! Palming the wheel while going fast is not ideal in the slightest! Most people don't realize that even though the PT is a tall car, there is pretty much no weight in the roof of the car, so the center of gravity is really pretty low (once you drop the car at least.) And yeah, STICK SHIFTS ROOL!
Old 04 Aug 2008, 11:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have driven autostick GTs and my 5speed GT and my preference is a 5speed manual...I find it fun and sporty
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob