PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BAD MPG!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2008, 01:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default BAD MPG!

Hey everyone,

I just got a 05 PT GT a month ago. I love the car it is really great! But i filled the car up the other week (nearly 14 gallons) and here I am today only doing 225 miles on a tank thats 16mpg! avg. I know that you cannot just judge you mpg over one tank but thats crazy! Any suggestions?
Old 08 Aug 2008, 01:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: BAD MPG!

Take off that lead foot!
I have an 04 turbo lite and I have a lead foot and still manage to get around 26 - 28 mpg.

Try changing out plugs, wires and air filter. The normal tune-up stuff will help a little.
Old 08 Aug 2008, 02:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

10 MPG would be the worst mpg for me. Bad mpg is caused by a lot of things such as dirty air cleaner, vacuum hose broken, vacuum leak and leaky fuel injectors.

Old 08 Aug 2008, 06:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Also remember, the PT Cruiser is about as aerodynamic as a brick. They are not know for great mileage.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 08 Aug 2008, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

yea i understand this, i just seems crazy that the epa mpg they put on the window of the car is no where near what it is getting. I parked my 65 mustang when i got the PT partially because of mpg and here I am getting only a little bit better. But either way love the PT just kinda annoying! thanks for the info!
Old 08 Aug 2008, 11:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I personnally feel that the EST Mileage on those stickers should be classifed as "Fiction"

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 08 Aug 2008, 08:16 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: BAD MPG!

Hey 05silverGT ,

I used to be a Long Distance Truck Driver, an I always drove a Company Truck which was governed at 65 MPH. You could put your foot to the floor, and she won' t go a lick faster. It always seemed like it took forever to complete my 500 mile per day quota, but on the other hand, I knew that no matter what, I could always make it 1200 miles on 200 gallons of Diesel!

One day, my Truck broke down, and instead of waiting,they just gave me a loner which incidentally been reset so that it could run 10 MPH faster at 75 MPH. Amazingly, just that 10 MPH difference cut my range of 1200 miles per my full 200 gallons of Diesel, down to just 700 miles. So all of the sudden that whole driving 65 MPH turned out to make a huge difference in gas millage, and savings of fuel costs on the Truck! So much so, that most all Trucking Companies are now running their Trucks at 65 MPH, and some even at 63 MPH to save Fuel, and this has even translated over to the Commercial Airlines as well. American Airlines, along with several others stated a few weeks ago that they were that they were going to increase their flight times by slowing their planes down by as much as 10% to save on fuel!

With this said, if your PT is getting poor fuel millage, maybe try dropping your speed down by 10 MPH, and see how much your millage goes up! You don't have anything to lose, and you just might be surprised at the outcome! Please let us know if you try this, and how it works out!

Take it easy!

Candyman
Old 08 Aug 2008, 11:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hey 05silverGT ,

I used to be a Long Distance Truck Driver, an I always drove a Company Truck which was governed at 65 MPH. You could put your foot to the floor, and she won' t go a lick faster. It always seemed like it took forever to complete my 500 mile per day quota, but on the other hand, I knew that no matter what, I could always make it 1200 miles on 200 gallons of Diesel!

One day, my Truck broke down, and instead of waiting,they just gave me a loner which incidentally been reset so that it could run 10 MPH faster at 75 MPH. Amazingly, just that 10 MPH difference cut my range of 1200 miles per my full 200 gallons of Diesel, down to just 700 miles. So all of the sudden that whole driving 65 MPH turned out to make a huge difference in gas millage, and savings of fuel costs on the Truck! So much so, that most all Trucking Companies are now running their Trucks at 65 MPH, and some even at 63 MPH to save Fuel, and this has even translated over to the Commercial Airlines as well. American Airlines, along with several others stated a few weeks ago that they were that they were going to increase their flight times by slowing their planes down by as much as 10% to save on fuel!

With this said, if your PT is getting poor fuel millage, maybe try dropping your speed down by 10 MPH, and see how much your millage goes up! You don't have anything to lose, and you just might be surprised at the outcome! Please let us know if you try this, and how it works out!

Take it easy!

Candyman
Nice information there, Candyman.

Although today I was about a half inch short of being sandwiched by 2 truckers, lol....It's hard to maintain a speed 5 less than the posted speed limit because people in Michigan think I-696 IS the Michigan Speedway.

I have tried to make it to work going 55 one day and managed not to budge the gas needle, which was amusing, but the drive took FOREVER.

Thanks again for our info!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 10 Aug 2008, 09:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DJmart

I drove around yesterday,

I drove for about an hour or so, and I drove like i never drive, smooooth on the throttle, just CRUSIN`

i checked the small computer (Scan Gauge) to see what my MPG was at the end of my little (expensive) drive.

21.5 MPG. To me, thats amazing gas mileage as I usually get 16-17.

But in all seriousness, it was nice to take it easy and not push down the throttle, but its just boring! ahaha. Step on the throttle and my intake and exhaust are singing, its a great sound but its also the sound of money going down the drain to move a very heavy car!
Old 10 Aug 2008, 11:35 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: BAD MPG!

Hey Everyone,

Yep, that is my problem as well! I do pay for it, but I love the whistle of the Turbo, and that cool little crackle when I down shift the Auto Stick while the exhaust is hot! Its just a fun little car!

Take it easy!

Candyman

Last edited by Candyman; 11 Aug 2008 at 12:16 am.