Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
WARNING to all 06+ owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2008, 01:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default WARNING to all 06+ owners

if you are mechanically inclinded or just really good at removing your interiors, please remove your center consoles and check out the orientation of you AIR BAG CONTROL UNIT. its a bright silver box with a big black arrow on it. while detaiing my car i decided to remove my center console and discovered that my unit was FACING THE WRONG WAY!!!!!!!! the arrow should be pointing toward the front of the car as denoted by the F meaning forward. Improper orientation of the unit will cause the airbags to fail to deploy in the event of a serious front end collision. my arrow was pointing towards the back of the car. this is a SERIOUS DEFECT. Chrysler was immeadiately notified and i was told to bring the car in immeadiately to be corrected. I was called yesterday by the dealer who is working on my car (different one from last time), and they ASSURE me that the module is in correctly and it is working fine. they believe that the sticker was put on backwards. Look, I do this for a living. I know more about Supplemental restraint systems than any dealer tech. all i asked was for them to order in a new module and check to see if it matches. i was told that these modules are expensive and this doesnt warrant that kind of expense. MY DAMN SAFETY DOESNT WARRANT THAT KIND OF EXPENSE!?!?!?! WHY DO I HAVE TO FIGHT WITH EVERY PENNY PINCHING DEALER!?!?! Air bags are a SAFETY ISSUE and when there is ANY question AT ALL, componenets need to be REPLACED. bottom line is: the module WILL be replaced, NO QUESTIONS. i will settle for nothing less. so if you own a 06+, or any year for that matter, pull out your center consoles and inspect the modules. verify that the arrow is facing forward. if not for curiosity sake, then for safetys sake.

on another note, i was having a problem with my AC also. when id have th AC on at idle, the car would surge and sputter like no other. I cleaned the throttlebody and all applicable sensors and idle controls. checked for vacuum leaks, bad gaskets, correct refrigerant levels, everything possible. turns out the fan module was burned out and my AC system was building too much pressure. nice. that is being replaced under warranty too. good times.

FYI - Dodge caliber rental cars are the worst car ever. you want WORSE gas mileage and less power than a TE PT? buy a caliber. What the hell has happended to CHrysler products?
Old 09 Aug 2008, 01:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: WARNING to all 06+ owners

Sounds like they might have been taken over by a company that only looks at the bottom line and has no real car background.

...oh wait a minute. THEY WERE taken over by a company that only cares about the bottom line etc.

Good luck with your fight. I'll try and get around to pulling the center console to take a look.

Ooops! Just looked it up for my 2001, it's the FLOOR center console where the module is.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09 Aug 2008 at 01:47 pm.
Old 09 Aug 2008, 02:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sorry for any misunderstanding, yes its the Floor center console. i forgot that some PTs have headliner mounted center consoles.
Old 09 Aug 2008, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wasn't thinking of the headliner center console, I was thinking of the dash center console.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Aug 2008, 04:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

tomato, tomatoe......
Old 09 Aug 2008, 06:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I guarantee you the module was in correctly. It will only bolt up one way and the wiring will obviously only go one way. Mistakes are made. You make 120 thousand of something you're bound to get one that may have a sticker put on wrong. Don't be assy about. Kill the dealership with kindness and you will get much farther.
Old 09 Aug 2008, 10:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

I understand that the module only bolts in one way. I havent been snotty with anyone yet. it probably is the sticker, but would you stake your life on it? better to be safe than sorry. Imagine if i had repaired your vehicle and installed a new module. what would you think if you had discovered it with a backwards sticker? would you take my word for it that its right, or would you err on the side of caution and have it replaced with one thats labeled right? (please note, if this had been repaired by me, that backwards stickered module would have been returned in leu of a correctly labeled one. its kinda a CYA thing). am i being picky? absolutely. am i well within my rights to be concerned? you betcha. I give everyone a chance. hell, i gave the last dealer SEVERAL. if you do the right thing the first time, theres no need for the customer to have any attitude.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 02:21 am
Regular Cruiser

The Part Department Manger is the problem.

If a part is ordered and not used and subsequently returned, there is a fee charged. He is portecting his department's bottom line. If he works directly for the service manager as is the case is larger dealerships then you need to have the discussion with the service manager. No Joy there--1-800-992-1997. Explain that you feel you have a "blood priority" and do feel that you are being taken proper care of by the servicing dealershhip.

Keep it vanilla with no emotion or bile. Dime to a doughtnut yu get you new module.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 09:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
I understand that the module only bolts in one way. I havent been snotty with anyone yet. it probably is the sticker, but would you stake your life on it? better to be safe than sorry. Imagine if i had repaired your vehicle and installed a new module. what would you think if you had discovered it with a backwards sticker? would you take my word for it that its right, or would you err on the side of caution and have it replaced with one thats labeled right? (please note, if this had been repaired by me, that backwards stickered module would have been returned in leu of a correctly labeled one. its kinda a CYA thing). am i being picky? absolutely. am i well within my rights to be concerned? you betcha. I give everyone a chance. hell, i gave the last dealer SEVERAL. if you do the right thing the first time, theres no need for the customer to have any attitude.
Yes. I work on them for a living. A sticker put on backwards is the most minor of problems that I have seen come from the factory. I know the module bolts in one way so a sticker being on backwards is no big deal to me. It's not a safety issue or anything like that. It's not even an appearance issue because it's covered by the center console. I understand your concern but there is nothing wrong with your airbag system.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 10:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

For all those who care, here is an update. After getting nowhere witht he dealership, and after several exhaustive conversations with chrysler corperate, Nothing is going to be done. Fine, ill concede. the sticker is probably on backwards. Fine. After conceding that fact, I had one simple request of chrysler: Send me a certified letter stating that they guarantee that the module in my car is free from defects and is guarantee that it will perform flawlessly in the event of a collision. Youd think I asked for someones first born. CHRYSLER ISNT EVEN WILLING TO DO THAT FOR ME. This leads me to a couple of conclusions about father chrysler. One, that acknowledging that my module has a problem may lead to a future recall that will cost the company money. Two, they are unwilling to guarantee performance because they know that these modules have a high failure rate, and they would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit in the event of a crash. At this point, im done with chrysler. their complete unwillingness to even give me a guarantee in writing that everything is fine shows their lack of customer service skills and complete lack of confidence in their own product.

For those who would call me picky, or as a certain dodge dealership would call me, a 'problem customer', I treated this dealer with complete respect and even left on good terms. hell, i even bought the tech a six pack for enabling my foglamps off the books. My problem is no longer witht he dealer, its with chrysler, and they understand that.

To end this, complaints have been lodged with NTSB, IIHS, NHTSA, and the FTC. One way or another chrysler will be held responsible.