PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trade-in for HHR or keep her for a while?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2008, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trade-in for HHR or keep her for a while?

Greetings,

New to the forum, and just thought I'd request some feedback. At this time I'm looking at trading in my PT Cruiser for an HHR, but I'm wondering if this is a bit too rash or not?

I own a 2003 PT Cruiser I got in July of 2003 and have had great luck with it. Air conditioning belt was replaced, had a tune-up, front brakes needed work, and ran into some other issue when it was under warranty that caused it to go haywire briefly while driving and go into "safe" mode, that the dealership fixed promptly. Other than that, I've enjoyed it immensely, and almost hate to part with it. I'm a priest, and pulled up to do a blessing of a summer camp run at a parishioner's home and the kids got excited to see a PT. Wonderful little car I got at seminary and has been great for road trips and everything else.

I just hit 110,000 miles, most of which have been on the highway. I also have a very reliable mechanic. I did want to look at a new PT, and but the dealership I went to no longer has them; in fact to my shock the guy said earlier this summer they just sold a silver one for about 13 or 14K that was on the lot new for a year and a half (?!) which I just don't get. I live in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area, so they are doing plenty of business. Also with high gas prices, granted the PT isn't a Civic hybrid, but it's not awful mileage. This led me to the HHR, which I do a double-take of on the highway because at first glance it looks like the PT a bit. I guess it was the same guy. I looked at a Corolla and a Civic, but felt cramped in the Corolla and it felt a bit "dull," even though it is great mileage-wise, and the Civic for some reason reminded me of the little thing George Jetson sped around in with it's oval-shape front-end. These are of course great cars though, no doubt about it.

Well, I did drive the HHR and enjoyed it; very smooth, and it seems the closest thing to the PT out there. Like the look of it, and seems to get a bit better mileage than the PT. Also has a great warranty, 100,000 on the powertrain which is nice. Currently I'm getting $2250 back with incentives on the 08 I had my eye on that they will sell me at invoice in black and the lower-end version just like my PT, so am thinking of doing it. Think this is a good decision and I should keep the PT for another year, or call it a day while she is still in good shape and I don't have to put any money in a car I'll be trading in within a year anyway? Part of me feels that the PT has been so good to me so just keep it another year, but I also don't want to hit the Minnesota winter and have to put in some annoying repairs on the car (rear bakes need work probably or have a belt go or something like that. Timing belt would need to be put back on too after 120K). Hopefully the HHR is a good investment for another 5 years.

Thanks!
Padre Paul
Old 10 Aug 2008, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Trade-in for HHR or keep her for a while?

Greetings Padre Paul,
I know there will be some that don't agree with me but I think you can keep a vehicle to long. I believe I would recommend you trade. The PT has given you good service but you need a dependable car in your business, I would always rather spend money on a new car than an old one.
I have a friend that has an HRR and they like it very well, I have rode in it and driven it and it is very nice. I would say it is comparable to my PT. They drove it to FL. for the winter and gets 30 mpg on the road.
With all that being said there are things I like better about my PT. I have a 2006 Limited Edition and I like my dash and interior better than his, and he has the top of the line HHR with leather. There is something else that I just can't put my finger on and don't know how to explain it but it just seems like the PT has more character than the HHR.
Bottom line, I would say its time for you to trade and at the discounts they are giving I believe the HHR would be a good investment for you and you wouldn't be sorry. Gary
Old 10 Aug 2008, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the feedback. It is hard to part, as I have such great memories with the PT taking her down to Kansas City and Saint Louis, "up north" and have had such good luck with it. I actually got an offer for it as a priest friend of mine would has a nephew who needs a car, and he'll pay me the KBB of $3,000 for it, and I'm guessing the dealership would offer $2,500. So that's nice. I did get XM for it (must have all those baseball games) so am not sure how they will uninstall it or just keep it and get a new Roady, but it has been one wonderful car.

I did really enjoy my drive in the HHR. I do like the console inside, and it rode quite comfortably. That being said I am really surprised that they are discontinuing (probably) the PT. Why not come out with a hybrid version of it and make a killing off of that market? I'd be a PT Hybrid would be in high demand.

God bless,
Fr. Paul
Old 10 Aug 2008, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am sure it is going to be hard to give up the PT, but it sounds like you have a good offer for it and its time to just go ahead and make the trade.

I really like my PT, its our second car and just has 28,000 miles on it so I think I will have it for a very long time. Yes I think a Hybrid PT would do good but I guess they think its an old car and they must be ready to give up on it.

If you look around I am sure you could find an HHR with the XM radio, our friends has XM radio in his HHR from the factory. We also have XM radio in our car. Do you ever listen to XM 34 Enlighten? They play mostly Southern Gospel and we listen to it all the time. I guess I don't know what kind of music a priest listens to.

I have a grandson that sings in a Southern Gospel Quartet, The Overtones. They started about 5 years ago in high school and now have recorded 5 cds. Here is a link to their website if you would like to check it out. Overtones Quartet Splash Page

Go to their site and hit enter, then at the top of the next page, under Overtones Music player you can click on one of their songs and hear a little of their music. My Grandson John sings tenor and is standing on the left side of the second page you come to. All of their music is not like these two song, they have a lot of the good old hymns also.

I guess I'm getting off topic here so I better get off. Fr Paul if you enjoy this kind of music and would like some of their cd's I would be glad to send you some at no cost to you, just let me know. God bless,Gary

Last edited by snowbirdIN; 10 Aug 2008 at 08:52 pm.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 07:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Check out a Caliber SXT( stay in the same family)
Old 11 Aug 2008, 12:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Many thanks for the replies Gary. I think I will be trading it in for a black HHR. The sales person was very nice too and told me not to bother upgrading to a higher model if all I wanted was XM, so they are going to put that in. It looks to be a nice car too.

As luck would have it I called my friend, who was ordained a priest this year (I'm from the class of 07) and he asked me if he could purchase my PT as his nephew needs a car. Kelly Blue Book online lists the trade-in value at $3,040 with my mileage and in "good" condition, so I think $3,000 seems fair enough.

As far as XM, I haven't listened to 34 but maybe I should give it a shot. I've really enjoyed the new station, "No Shoes Radio" as you can probably tell by my handle I'm a Jimmy Buffett fan, and Kenny Chesney has some tunes similar to his. I can listen to Radio Margaritaville over on Sirius off of the Radio Margaritaville web page for free, but it's not currently on the XM line-up. It's a very nice station. I fall asleep to XM 77 every night, Audio Visions. I'm also a fan of the 80s and 70s stations, "Sunny 24" and the Soundtrack channel, XM 27, but in typical guy fashion go around the dial quite a bit. XM 73, "High Standards" is also great, quite appropriate don't you think to have Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin cranked up when going around town in a PT?

Is tough to part with the vehicle, but I guess 110,000 miles is a good run and no need to run into some major problem, even if none have come up yet. The HHR was fun on the test drive, and I think the mileage will be a little better too. I do hope the PTs stick around though. Who cares if it's in the 8th year, it's a nice car and a lot of people love the retro look.

God bless,
Fr. Paul
Old 11 Aug 2008, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks too for the link to your grandson's CD page - pretty impressive web site and nice work getting a CD out. Good music can do so much to stir the soul!
Old 11 Aug 2008, 05:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You keep telling us that the PT is such a great car, but you never have said that you have checked out a newer PT to see what kind of a deal you could get on a new one. All of your posts have mainly talked about getting a HHR. What's with that?

I can't figure if you are asking a question or just making a statement?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Aug 2008, 06:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

i agree with hooligan why not look into another pt ??
Old 11 Aug 2008, 01:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Why don't you splurge and get a black HHR SS...Caliber SRT or Used PT Cruiser GT....black would be a neat colour for you as a priest..you could even get blacked out windows...how about a vanity plate " GODSPEED"..Ha Ha
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob