Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bought a 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 2.4L Yesterday - Some Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2008, 09:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bought a 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 2.4L Yesterday - Some Questions

First off, I love the car. Second off, it didn't come with an owners manual.

What type of gas should I use? What is the downside of simply using 87 regular gas? Is it harmful?

What is the gas mileage? I'll do "tests" of my own, but the guy at the dealer said "in the 30's" and I think he was lying (or mistaken).

Like I said I just bought it yesterday so I would like to figure out some of these things, any help is appreciated.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 09:37 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Bought a 2003 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 2.4L Yesterday - Some Questions

For a turbo, I'd say the highest quality gas you can get. Expensive, yes, but it'll extend the life of your engine and you won't lose any "oomph" when you drive. I've heard of some people getting 30 mph, but not many. Mine get's between 25-27 mph.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 09:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifu_scott View Post
For a turbo, I'd say the highest quality gas you can get. Expensive, yes, but it'll extend the life of your engine and you won't lose any "oomph" when you drive. I've heard of some people getting 30 mph, but not many. Mine get's between 25-27 mph.
Thank you. I bought it with 73,000 miles on it, so who knows what gas the previous owner was using. I assume regular. So would it be worth it to start using premium right away?

As for the gas mileage, I bet I could get around 30 because I drive a consistent 70MPH to work most of the time, and that's most of my driving.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 10:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by polira View Post
Thank you. I bought it with 73,000 miles on it, so who knows what gas the previous owner was using. I assume regular. So would it be worth it to start using premium right away?

As for the gas mileage, I bet I could get around 30 because I drive a consistent 70MPH to work most of the time, and that's most of my driving.
you really need to use premium gas. the engine is tuned for it. using a lower grade gas causes the computer to retard timing to prevent knock. which leades to loss of power and poor fuel mileage. you'd wind up filling up more on the cheaper fuel. and use a branded gas station. non of joe's gas crap. BP,sunoco,shell,citgo,etc.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggert_LOA View Post
you really need to use premium gas. the engine is tuned for it. using a lower grade gas causes the computer to retard timing to prevent knock. which leades to loss of power and poor fuel mileage. you'd wind up filling up more on the cheaper fuel. and use a branded gas station. non of joe's gas crap. BP,sunoco,shell,citgo,etc.
Yea I'll probably get the "ultra" from Sunoco or whatever they have at Shell. Thanks for your help.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 01:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Use PREMIUM
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 16 Aug 2008, 02:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

It works best with premium.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 04:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Ok, the 2003 Gt came with only the 220 hp turbo engine, in 2004 Chrysler also introduced the "turbo lite" which was 180hp, as an option. At that point, the 220hp became known as the "high output" turbo.

Both engines are the exact same, however, the 220 hp turbo's computer is programmed to run with 92-93 octane gas. The "turbo lite" computer is programmed to run on 87 octane gas. Open your gas door and you'll see a sticker "premium fuel recommended".

You can use lower octane gas, but it will cause some knocking, (when you buy a turbo, remember sales people don't know squat about the car they're selling, and when they "give you a fill-up" before you drive away, you can be sure the wrong gas is in there, that's how I KNOW the car will knock.) The car has an anti-knock sensor, but I've heard that you can damage your engine this way.

Give the Chrysler customer service number a call and they can tell you how to get an owners manual. Or, buy one on ebay.

I own a 2004 "high Output" GT.

srg
Old 16 Aug 2008, 08:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just went to shell, filled it up with Premium. Cost $52, no sense complaining about it. The only thing is, I bought the car with 73,000 miles on it, so I'm wondering how much regular gas it had to deal with. I'll keep using premium to prevent any further engine damage.

Also, I did see the "premium fuel recommended" sticker, so that plus the replies on this thread made up my mind for me.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 09:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome to the board & enjoy !!