Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine start button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2008, 02:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Engine start button

Again....where and what is the cheapest way to buy and install a engine start button? Is it a hard install?
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 22 Aug 2008, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine start button

It would be a cool mod to do a start button, but there sure isn't a lot of room in the PT to put it. You'd want to show it off if you had one plus unless there's some sort of kit, you'd still have to put the key into the ignition slot. Maybe down where I have my square push-button for my Ahooga Horn. Even if you have the traction control on-off switch there still should be an open space.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

It makes a good anti theft device too if you hide it. My brother has one on his truck. He put it on because the start function of the ignition doesn't work anymore. Nobody can start his truck now unless they know where that is!

He setup a buddies Intrepid with a switch to the fuel pump. You can break in, hot wire the car, start it, it runs momentarily, then chugs and dies, and will not restart. That would probably be an effective deterrent!

I know it's probably not the info you're looking for, but something to think about.

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 23 Aug 2008, 02:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

PTModRod has something like that in his car. Shoot him a PM, he has helped me through a lot of questions personally. Give him a shout!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 23 Aug 2008, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

that would be cool !!
Old 23 Aug 2008, 10:09 am
Young Cruiser

How about one in the 12v cigarette lighter in below the radio? They sell a few kits. I got this from the Corvette forum, and it might give you some ideas. Check the link on the bottom.

vvvvvvvvvvvv-Link-vvvvvvvvvvvv

C5 push button start - Corvette Forum

Or try this one

C5 Tech gurus: C5 push button start. - Corvette Forum

^^^^^^^^-Link-^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by damilleniumboy; 23 Aug 2008 at 10:20 am.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 06:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hi there. I do indeed have one of these and it really is not a hard install. I am fairly sure I replied to your last thread about this too... You do not need a fancy kit to do this, I did it with parts I already had, but even if you don't have them they really are not too expensive. If you are interested, I can walk you through it.

This is the safety switch:

And the button itself:

Sorry for the poor quality. I used my cell phone.

Last edited by PTmodrod; 24 Aug 2008 at 06:03 pm.
Old 25 Aug 2008, 07:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DJmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmodrod View Post
Hi there. I do indeed have one of these and it really is not a hard install. I am fairly sure I replied to your last thread about this too... You do not need a fancy kit to do this, I did it with parts I already had, but even if you don't have them they really are not too expensive. If you are interested, I can walk you through it.

This is the safety switch:

And the button itself:

Sorry for the poor quality. I used my cell phone.

Dude, that looks absolutely awesome! I wouldn't have thought to put switches there!!!! If I had the time, and patience I would rewire all my switches to that area.

Cool idea, maybe if i do more installs ill put a switch there.

Why have a safety switch though? It really doesn't matter unless you don't want someone starting it when the ignition is put to "ON". Either way it will not grind the starter.

Very impressed though, you are the man!
Old 25 Aug 2008, 02:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJmart View Post
Dude, that looks absolutely awesome! I wouldn't have thought to put switches there!!!! If I had the time, and patience I would rewire all my switches to that area.

Cool idea, maybe if i do more installs ill put a switch there.

Why have a safety switch though? It really doesn't matter unless you don't want someone starting it when the ignition is put to "ON". Either way it will not grind the starter.

Very impressed though, you are the man!
You obviously don't know my friends . They have this wonderful game called "press every button and switch that they can reach as fast as they can" Personally I am not a fan of the game... . The other reason for the switch, it looks SO COOL! But really, I do eventually plan on installing nitrous on the PT and that switch will then be re-purposed to control that.
Old 25 Aug 2008, 02:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to DJmart

oh, let me tell you right now....

My friends know really well they aren't to touch a single button or switch unless I ask them to, they know better, they also know better than to smoke, or make a mess with papers or wrappers, they also know not to lean on my car, for i will smack the #$)(@# out of them!

I lay down the rules for the car and they're happy!

other than that I have only one friend that is allowed to turn on the lights for the foot wells anytime she wants