PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to replace A/C compressure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to replace A/C compressure?

Hi.

I have a 2002 PT with automatic trans. The A/C compressure has to be replaced. I bought a used one. How to do it? Is it difficult to do it?

Thanks.
Old 22 Aug 2008, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to replace A/C compressure?

I have never attempted the change. IMHO you should take to a expert.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Aug 2008, 09:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been in the shop to repair the A/C. They estimated a couple hundreds because the compressure should be replaced. I just replace the compressure. After that, I will go to the shop again to take care of the rest of jobs. So anyone has experience?

Thanks.
Old 23 Aug 2008, 12:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Compressor failed--how and/or what in the compessor failed?

The simplest failure is that the clutch failed and you really did not need a compressor. The worst is that an internal part filed and sent metal fillings throught out your system.

Without knowing what failed--and what other things might be now contaminated--this is not a do it myself and learn as I go kind of job.

You are entering into an area on you vehilce that requires specific knowledge, expertise and tools that the aveage, no above average, DIY'er does not posses. Fortunately this is a R134A and not an R12 system--you don't have to mess with all those pesky rules concernig handlig, liscensing and the EPA in general. I doubt that your mechanic will give you much of a gurantee on the repair with customer supplied and installed boutique parts.

As said above--this one for the porfessionals with known good parts. Just too many opprotunities for failure here. I do sincerely wish you the best in this endeavor.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 01:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

I couldn't remember what the A/C compressure has a problem. But the mechainc me told you probablely can do by yourself. Actually I did on my VW Jetta and then took it to the shop to recharged gas. It wasn't too hard. By the way I haven't done anything with the PT. As I mentioned, after the compressure is replaced, I will take the car to the shop to recharge a gas, and finish the job.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, you've gotten the advice about taking to a professional. It's up to you if you want to follow it or try it yourself. Good luck. Please fill out your profile as I'm curious to see where your from.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.