Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The gas tank..

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2008, 03:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default The gas tank..

Alright, I thought the PT's had a 15 gallon gas tank. The fill up before my last, I pumped in 15.6 gallons. Today I pumped and it took me 15.2 gallons.

Now after the 15.6 gallon fill up, my gauge didn't read full completely. Today when I pumped 15.2 gallons it read full...as it should.

Any thoughts??

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 24 Aug 2008, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The gas tank..

Ron,

First let me start off by saying that by letting the fuel get so low, your eventually going to burn out your fuel pump, about a $300 fix. The fuel not only cools but lubricates the pump and by letting the tank get so low, your running the pump dry, not only that, but any sediment that might get into the tank goes to the bottom and by letting it get that low you could suck it up into the system. MX-5 (local Master Tech) has repeatedly said that he's changed out quite a few fuel pumps when they burnt out.

The owners manual says that the tank holds 15 gallons. You've already found out it holds a little more, but not much more. The lines, filler nozzle and fudge factor probably gives you another 1/2 to 1 gallon.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 04:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Thanks, Carey. I wish I could have a visual reference of how much fuel (in gallons) I have in my tank. The ScanGuage does that I believe...I will be investing in one of those in the near future.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Um, what?

Bad engineering leading to fuel pump failure, and that's ok with Chrysler? Awesome. Or is there some recall to fix this issue?

Ucantcme, how about filling to the top of the filler neck (gently, and carefully) to make sure you reach the same point each time? I do that so that my mileage recording/tracking is as consistent as I can get it.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

I fill it up until there is gas that sits in the "neck" of the gas tank.

My Baby:

Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Bad engineering leading to fuel pump failure, and that's ok with Chrysler? Awesome. Or is there some recall to fix this issue?
I don't make em. I just pass on the information that I know or have seen on this and other PT Forums. There's been, I think, 3 recalls and one for the gas tank but not because of the pumps that burn out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't think he was blaming you for anything...Just saying Chrysler did a....less than perfect job with the fuel pump.

My Baby:

Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
I fill it up until there is gas that sits in the "neck" of the gas tank.
I was told there is a sensor that you'll screw up so don't top off the tank. I stop filling when the hose clicks off.

The scan gauge does tell how many gallons of gas are left. You will find that filling up at different times of the day will give different volumes. It's best to fill up in the morning when it is cooler.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 24 Aug 2008, 06:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Less than perfect engeneering--you can't afford perfection or anyting close to it!

We are driving a realy great-darned near bullit proof for the first day it was interdouced, automible and you want to talk about less than perfection in a $20,000 automobile.

I guess I am just not as damanding not expectant as some. Oh well--
Old 24 Aug 2008, 07:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEH20 View Post
Less than perfect engeneering--you can't afford perfection or anyting close to it!

We are driving a realy great-darned near bullit proof for the first day it was interdouced, automible and you want to talk about less than perfection in a $20,000 automobile.

I guess I am just not as damanding not expectant as some. Oh well--
Bullett Proof???

Im confused.

My Baby: