Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to increase gas mileage in the PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Aug 2008, 03:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default How to increase gas mileage in the PT

This post is intended to help, or otherwise inform people out there of a website that has helped me increase my Fuel Economy in my 2001 Limited PT Cruiser.

Join GasSavers.org - Fuel Efficiency, Save Gas and Gas Mileage Forum

Join their forums, and read up on how people are increasing their fuel economy in the weirdest, most simplest ways. I'm used to getting <20MPG, as soon as I took a night to read through the forums, gather some ideas...I filled up my tank and started to use some of the techniques mentioned.

As I said, getting less than 20mpg was normal for me as the kind of driver I am. My last fill up proved that just driving a few miles per hour slower, and using the brakes less CAN and WILL increase your fuel economy. I got 24.99MPG on my last fill up.

On that site, you can create your own gaslog and keep track of your miles per gallon as long as you input the numbers in the form provided.

I hope you found this helpful.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: How to increase gas mileage in the PT

For what it's worth, I have higher pressure tires on my car and am running them at 50psi.

In another thread, there were questions about handling on "hard" tires, and after driving on these tires for 6 months, I've found no handling issues at all.

Higher tire pressure makes your tire "rounder" and so you are not continuously trying to drive "uphill" as much over the tiny flat spot at the front of tires that are at lower pressures.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
For what it's worth, I have higher pressure tires on my car and am running them at 50psi.

In another thread, there were questions about handling on "hard" tires, and after driving on these tires for 6 months, I've found no handling issues at all.

Higher tire pressure makes your tire "rounder" and so you are not continuously trying to drive "uphill" as much over the tiny flat spot at the front of tires that are at lower pressures.
Isn't less of your tire on the road though?

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 24 Aug 2008, 05:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Driving on 50 psi is not good for the tires. They'll wear funny and are more prone to blowouts. It may say 50 psi is the max on your tires, but my tire shop said that means only if you are carrying a lot more weight in your vehicle. At 50 psi under normal car weight you'll have less traction and are more apt to hydroplane in the rain. Better drive careful.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic