Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do these things run on 9V batteries?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2008, 09:45 am
Young Cruiser

Default Do these things run on 9V batteries?

As some of you know, this is my first PT. It is also my first 4cyl vehicle. I got used to driving V8 vehicles, and to the ability to have the raw power when I wanted it. Now, itís my battery that got me pissed the fluff off last night. So I went walking with the girlfriend at the park. After having worked out a bit, we had supper, and then we proceded to talk for about two hours with the music playing in the PT as we normally did on the Corvette or the now sold Mustang GT.

After those two hours passed, the damn battery died! Do these cars run on cell phone batteries or what? Iím just ranting off because I had never had anything like that happen, and needless to say it was kind of embarrassing. We ended up walking to the house, which was about ĺ of a mile away. We got in the Corvette and then jump started the PT. Iím now going to make a mental note to start the car every thirty minutes after I have been playing music.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Do these things run on 9V batteries?

Remind me again please. What year is your PT? Did you buy it new? What mileage do you have on it? Did you put the battery that's in your PT in yourself?

Before you go bashing the PT, a little something you should know. The battery output, charging capacity, and life has nothing whatsoever to do with the PT itself. Short trips most of the time and then sitting for awhile will kill it (happened on my PT). Certain battery types (Sears Die Hard comes to mind) only last about a year no matter what the warranty has on it. Sure they'll give you a new pro-rated battery but who wants to have one that is dead every year (happened with my Corvette).

If the answer to the above questions is that it's a new PT off the showroom and less than 3 years old, then you have a gripe. If it was bought used and you've depended on what battery another person put in until now, you can't blame the car.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

You used like all the smilies avail. Good job, lol.

I've sat in my car for 3+hrs at a time listening to music and the car stated back up. You have subwoofers and stuff running too? That'll kill a battery real quick.

Get a new battery?

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 26 Aug 2008, 10:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I sat in my car for a few hours listening to music with a friend while waiting for my girlfriend after school and the battery didn't up and die on me, but it was too low to start the car. It was, however, the battery that came in the car when I bought it. As Crewzin said above, if you take long trips, the battery will charge much better than short trips with big gaps in between. Either way, my friends had fun pushing the PT around the parking lot before we finally decided to grow up and bump start it.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 01:03 pm
Young Cruiser

It's an '01, auto, limited, used, and have had it for two weeks. I still have to figure out what the... is up with the car. It's in excelent shape, but i'm just not used to the car yet or know it's limitations. Now I'm going to swap that 9V battery with a 12V one; hopefully I won't be stranded farther away from home next time. BTW, it's a factory stereo with the 10 disc changer. No smileys on this one .
Old 26 Aug 2008, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Same PT as mine but I didn't buy the 10-disk changer. Coming up to 95K on mine and I'm on the 2nd battery. The OEM battery only lasted 3 years, the new one has lasted 5.

Like I said, short trips that I do didn't charge it up very much especially since I have the stereo and air-conditioning going on all the time. I went up to Virginia for 10 days in the wife's car and the PT was dead when I got home but jumped right away and a half hour drive (with no accessories on) brought it right back up to full charge.

Believe it or not, it's DuraLast battery from AutoZone.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 01:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

I still have my stock battery from 2001, with my amps/neons running its still running pretty strong. Quite suprised really.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 26 Aug 2008, 01:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantcme View Post
I still have my stock battery from 2001, with my amps/neons running its still running pretty strong. Quite suprised really.
It might be the stock battery still in there in mine too or one about to go south. I've only had the car for a couple of weeks, so I'm still trying to figure the car out, and yes I have used the car mostly for short trips to work, store, and to my gf's house. I haven't had the car on a highway trip, and I was also running the A/C, radio, and charging my cell phone prior to stoping. I'm not bashing the pt either, yet I had never had been stranded because of a dead battery.

Last edited by damilleniumboy; 26 Aug 2008 at 01:46 pm.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 03:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, let me get this straight, you were parking with the GF, it was night time and you are upset because the car won't start??? I used to use the "Oh, ran out of gas" when I was younger. Dude, you have to think this thru!!!

BTW, this was written in jest, please take it that way!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Aug 2008, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

probably the orignal battery