Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Modifications and warrany claims?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2008, 01:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Modifications and warrany claims?

Hey all, I've got an '07 base model that just turned 6,000 miles. I really want to do some things to the car, but it's dependability (or lack of?) has really got me worried about changing anything, especially since it has the lifetime powertrain warranty.

Right now the front right wheel squeals like it may have a bearing going out and the driver side window goes clunk-clunk-clunk when it is rolled up or down. I had tint on my front windows that I removed before bringing it in otherwise I feared the warranty claim would be denied.

Anyway, if you're still with me, I want to add some aftermarket wheels and tires (in the stock size), lowering springs, and some stereo equipment. I have 3 amplifiers for the stereo and 1 of them is 1250 watts going to 3 JL Audio 12's. The stereo takes a lot of power to run. So, suppose at 84,000 miles the transmission goes out... will they try to say that the voltage drop from the stereo caused the car's computer to not function properly therefore causing a transmission failure? Will the lowering springs void any warranty?

Old 28 Aug 2008, 02:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Modifications and warrany claims?

The suspension drop chages the chamber, and the pt will need realigned. If the shop you take your car to have warranty work on is very anal about stuff like that, they might, but I don't think they will notice the car was lowered unless it is a quite noticeable drop.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 03:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Generally for them to void the warranty, they will have to prove the modification it the cause of the failure. They shouldn't void your warranty, because you changed the rims and tires...as long as you are going back with original or close to original sizes.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 03:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Never underestimate what a dealer will do to void your warranty. Check with your dealer beforehand to see what their mindset is. There are good dealers and there are complete, total buttholes.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Aug 2008, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that went into effect back in 1975 says that the dealer would have to prove that any modification you did on your own to the vehicle did specific damage to the part under warranty in question. In other words, lowering the PT could cause suspension damage, but would not have anything to do with problems with a transaxle. The warranty part in question would have to have direct affect from the part you added for the warranty to be invalid and the rest of the warranty would still stay in effect.

Read it all here:

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 06:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by damilleniumboy View Post
but I don't think they will notice the car was lowered unless it is a quite noticeable drop.
It would be the common 1.5" or 1.75" drop, I haven't checked the exact amount of drop available yet, but it won't be much. The amount of drop will likely be less than the amount the car would "sink" if a much-larger-than-myself person were to drive it... meaning that even with the drop, my car may still sit higher than a car with a couple fat people in it, but they could still deny warranty work because of the altered suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxmith View Post
Generally for them to void the warranty, they will have to prove the modification it the cause of the failure. They shouldn't void your warranty, because you changed the rims and tires...as long as you are going back with original or close to original sizes.
The new tires would be the exact factory size, and the wheels are real close with the only difference being a couple mm of offset difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Never underestimate what a dealer will do to void your warranty. Check with your dealer beforehand to see what their mindset is. There are good dealers and there are complete, total buttholes.
Ya, I've heard of a few stories of people who have had claims denied by the stealership for BS reasons.

My (completely presumptuous) thoughs are that non-warranty work puts more money into the dealers pocket, making them want to deny warranty work for whatever reason imaginable. As said, I have no facts or real knowledge to support my thoughts, so hopefully someone who knows how this works can comment.

Warranty work:

Dealer makes no $$$ on the sale of a part because it is supplied to them from the manufacturer.

Dealer gets a set amount of $$$ for the repair even if unforeseen problems cause many hours extra work

More paperwork and follow-up to be certain the work is paid for from the manufacturer.

Non-warranty work:

Dealer makes good $$$ on the sale of all parts, fluids, and sometimes charges shop expenses.

Extra problems = extra work and more $$$ from the customer

Customer pays = money in the bank (quickly).

Old 28 Aug 2008, 06:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
In other words, lowering the PT could cause suspension damage, but would not have anything to do with problems with a transaxle.
Thanks for the link Crewzin. This is how I understand it to work also, but I hope they don't try to say that the CV shaft operating at a different angle caused a transmission failure.

Hopefully I'm just being too paranoid...

Old 28 Aug 2008, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 View Post
but I hope they don't try to say that the CV shaft operating at a different angle caused a transmission failure.
They can't and you have the ACT to back you up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 06:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Right on, thanks for the info.

I'm going to get the bearing fixed first, then work on getting some wheels, tires, and springs.

Old 28 Aug 2008, 11:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

The warrany on YOUR vehilce is provided by the MANUFACTURER. The DEALERSHIP provides a convient loaction for the administrations of that WARRNTY. The WARANTY is an agreement between YOU and the MANUFACTURER. The DEALERSHIP has no option in honoring nor declining your request for reapir/service under the terms of the WARRANTY.

The bottom line is: YOU do not want to pay for work on your vehilce that you feel is the responsibilty of the WARRANTY provider. The WARRANTY provider does not want to pay for damage or wear caused by YOU. The DEALERSHIP is caught in the middle. If YOU won't pay and the WARRANTY won't pay; it is not the the responsibility of the DEALERSHIP to reapir your vehicle at their expense.

YOU can modify anything YOU want on YOUR vehicle. YOU MODIFY IT--YOU OWN IT and anything it causes to fail. If there is a question on the failure mode in a given instance; the manufacturer will cause an inspection of the vehicle to determine the nature and possible cause of the failure. It is not the dealerhsip's decision.

This not unique to Chrysler or the automobile industry. It is common in any industry that is not in the consumer throw away sector. Let's stop beating up the messenger because we dislike the message.