Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lower front chin too low

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Aug 2008, 01:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Lower front chin too low

I have had my GT for almost 1 year now...the only gripe I have is that some time I am in a bit of a rush and I scrape my lower chin on the curb or parking lots....which has led to a few white line scratches in the plastic bumper on the very bottom edge...today however I bumped into a curb while pulling in to park and took a good chunk of paint off....luckily my factory paint touch up of Inferno Red touched it up niceley. Glad I cancelled my previously ordered Mopar Ground effects kit......Guess I need to slow down...Anyone else scraped their chins?????I read in a car magazine that had a 300SRT8 for a long term test that they replaced the front lower bumper 3 times......at least I haven't broken mine.
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 28 Aug 2008, 02:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Lower front chin too low

In the vette yes, in the PT it's almost impossible to do it. By your mods list it doesn't seem like your car is lowered? Why do you park so close to the curb anyhow? Next time it might be your radiator or the oil pan that gets damaged by parking so close to the curve or by going over one.

This is what I consider low; and I was just getting off the drive-way at the house. I owned that car for almost six years, and I only had to touch up my front chin once because I let a "friend" drive it. I sold it almost a month ago to buy the PT, and I'm liking the change and the extra-extra space lots.

Last edited by damilleniumboy; 28 Aug 2008 at 02:20 pm.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 02:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

nice looking mustang !!
Old 28 Aug 2008, 07:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Is the GT lower in the front? One problem is I have to drive over a full curb/sidewalk to get into my front attached garage. I try to angle the car as that helps. I agree I need to be more careful when I park in front of those small yet high enuf concrete rectangles they put in front of parking spots.
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 28 Aug 2008, 07:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

I sometimes hit the curb, but it's only because I am getting too close. Just park away from it a bit more and you should be fine.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 28 Aug 2008, 07:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Even my wife's '04 has chin rash from stupidly made driveways. My '03 GT was lowered with Eibachs. I got pretty good at angle entering and exiting steep driveway entrances. Sometimes, though, it was unadvoidable not to scrape.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Aug 2008, 08:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Lower front chin too low

The second time I drove the soonercruiser after the PTeazer bumperette was installed and painted!!!!
I simply forgot, and pulled up against one of those parking slot concrete logs.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 28 Aug 2008, 09:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Those concrete logs are there for a purpose, usually. Some parking spots face other parking spaces and I lost count of the number of minor crashes (we dont' call them accidents) that I've been called to. Some people actually depend on those concrete stops to tell them when to stop. How scary is that? Think for a moment of how they stop when the concrete isn't there.

Back to your question, I've hit them a couple times when pulling in to close.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 10:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

It's annoying to hear that scrapping noise from a curb with the bottom of your car...Everyone looks like you just got T-Boned and it's kinda embarassing, lol.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 29 Aug 2008, 04:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It's funny that you don't hear anything when you pull OVER them, but really scrape LOUD when you back up. With our 2002, I was always scraping things and when we traded up to the 2006 it did NOT scrape in those same places. At our local Home Depot I used to angle in, but now I can drive straight in the driveway. I believe that the front "scraper" was shortened up some, a 1/4" would make a great difference when the2006's were remodeled.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar