Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Costco Gas MPG bump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2008, 06:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Costco Gas MPG bump

I have been noticing that when I fill up at Costco, the in dash MPG meter stays above 20 mpg around town in heavy traffic, rather than the 18.5 (yuch) it normally annoys me with. I do not have any proof yet, but anyone found the gasoline station itself can make a 2 mpg difference in the PT?

By the way, I think all AZ stations must be 10% ethanol, so maybe other stations are cheating by raising the ethanol level?? Quick Trip gas seems to go really, really fast.

Anyone have an explanation for this?
Old 30 Aug 2008, 07:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default Re: Costco Gas MPG bump

Yeah, there is a gas station that goes by "Spirit" and they are ALWAYS cheaper...but their fuel is very poor quality. I get maybe 250miles out of one tank, vice going to SpeedWay, getting it for $.05 more expensive that lasts me 320-350miles on a tank.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Costco Gas MPG bump

Awh, come on guys!
It's all in your "head gasket"!!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 30 Aug 2008, 11:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

That's not what Mr. Fuel Guage says!

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 31 Aug 2008, 08:24 am
Young Cruiser

I wouldn't doubt it. My mom swears she gets better gas mileage going to BP...but IDK. I use Shell in my car, probably going to use shell in the Mrs car too.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 08:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've always gotten better mileage with Shell gas,and that is in every vehicle I've ever owned. In my experience,the worst fuel I can use is BP,it runs like crap and the mileage goes down. If you found good stuff at Costco,stick with it. I dont care what anyone says there is a difference in fuels.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I just bought my 07 Limited on the 29th of Aug. I Have put gas in it twice. 20.00 at a BP station the dealer uses and 40.00 at the super Wal-mart station. With BP 87 octain I was getting 18 to 21 mpg. With Wal-mart 87 octain I am now getting 13 to 16 mpg. I will try other stations around the house and keep everyone posted.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 08:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I've found no difference in any name brand fuels. Gas is gas. It's all in your driving habits, where you drive and the condition of your car. This is a funny thread.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 31 Aug 2008, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'll throw my $.02 in. Like MG just said I wasn't feeling any difference in different types of gas. I say "feeling" because I don't keep records of fuel mileage, only care if the PT is running right.

In the last couple of weeks, I found a station in the side of the county local where I do my patrolling that has fuel WITHOUT that damn 10% Ethenol in it, and I would sware the PT runs better. I stop there now with all my cars whenever I'm in the area. It might be all in my head but I'll keep using it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 11:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

First off gas isn't just gas, there are some differences. There are additives, but those play in pretty much just a small role. The key difference is in the ethanol. Even though ethanol is toted as being the save all fuel for getting middle eastern independence, it's actually a bit of a joke. The ethanol has a lower energy content then does gasoline, and fuel mileage will drop with the more ethanol you have in the fuel as there is less energy present in the fuel requiring more to be used.

One big reason why diesels get such great mileage is because diesel contains more energy. The diesel however combusts slower than gasoline which makes it harder to get responsiveness out of the engine.

Ethanol does however have a higher octane than gasoline. Most people think that octane = hp but that's not the case. Octane just shows how resistant to detonation (igniting with compression instead of ignition) the fuel is. A high compression engine requires high octane because it will detonate (I'm actually not sure if detonate is the right term, rather than look it up on wiki, I'll just let you know that I can never keep straight the differences between pinging, preignition, predetonation, and detonation....) with regular gasoline. High octane gas in a regular engine doesn't give any gain really because high octane burns slower and timing needs to be advanced. In the end the power difference probably isn't that great. High octane gasoline often does have better additives which can result in better throttle response and smoother running.

Long story short, there are enough variables in fuel: ethanol, additives, and octane to name three. Try out different fuels and stations, keep track of how your mileage, note how your engine runs, and keep in mind how much the cost/gallon is. Or just do like what I do and fill er up and not worry about it. A brick shaped car will hurt the wallet...

Ben
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Last edited by cleverklutz; 31 Aug 2008 at 11:14 pm.