Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Struts and Flashers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2008, 02:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Struts and Flashers

..well I decided to purchase some new chrome covers for the boot struts,due to a bit of age showing and they do look the bee's wotsits..however as in the instructions did have to put some tape around the top of them to keep 'em in place...have just got a niggly feeling that although it did advise this in the distructions it will not fix it for long and they will slip...just wondered if anyone has an idea that would fix them a bit more securely from the top!?...Now talking of Flashers..haven't had the car for very long but on the 11 other Cruisers that have headed in the other direction 8 have either returned my gesticulations,waves even.. the other 3 sigh,unfortunately did'nt..just wondering what kind of percentage other Cruisers have had...or am I just getting older and sadder!?...er,actually don't feel obliged to answer that last bit!
Old 04 Sep 2008, 05:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Struts and Flashers

monkey, if you do not plan on removing the strut covers, I would suggest glue, not sure if you have Gorilla glue in merry ol' England, but that would work.

"Flashers" in the US have a different definition , we call them blinkers or turn signals, but I digress, most people here don't bother returning the blink, except yesterday, I blinked a younger lady and she stuck her head and shoulder out of the window waving, that was unusual to be sure.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Sep 2008, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Monkey,

It's shame you didn't ask beforehand. Chrome tape for a couple of dollars from an auto store does a great job of wrapping around the struts and they last a long time. I' did it almost three years ago and they still look new.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Sep 2008, 07:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

...Would attempt the "Gorilla Glue"..but do'nt think we get such exotic things..might try Super glue or Crazy Glue I believe you call it..ahh,the problems of translation of the english language..I would of said the queens english..but that would be german then!...y'up we also have the double entrende of flashing,we also use the expression "winking"..asI understand it you flashed a young lady and you replied by driving into a lamp post!!!..It's a shame there is'n't more jesticulations between fellow Crewsers!..Don't you think!!??????
Old 05 Sep 2008, 07:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

...now ,why is it as soon as you do something ..someone comes up with a hummerin' better idea!!?..the tape idea is a stroke of genius!!!Howvever have gone around for a couple of days with me boot open just to show off me shiny bits..now it has tiddled down in this time..and now need a bucket to remove the unwanted water from my hind quarters!!!
Old 06 Sep 2008, 09:01 am
Cool Cruiser

CREWZIN, I take it that you removed the struts to cover them and that the chrome tape is around 3 inch wide. But just how did you get it to look so good?
Did you lay the tape on a surface them roll the struts over the tape to keep it smooth?
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 06 Sep 2008, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NOPE. I covered both the front hood, and rear hatch struts and never removed either. The chrome tape form either Auto Zone or Advance Auto (can't remember which) came in 3 inch wide by about 6 feet long. I measured the exact length I needed and cut that length. I wanted the seam to be in the back so that's where I started by putting the whole length on at the same time starting in the back and slowly came around to the front and around to the back just overlapping where I started. I used the whole 3 inches. If you go slow enough, it won't wrinkle and it's been on now for years without peeling off.

Front Strut ...don't think I used the whole 3 inches

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06 Sep 2008 at 09:42 am.
Old 08 Sep 2008, 05:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Strut covers are on my list of errrr ..... incidentals. I'll be getting them from my billet guy in Florida. They secure with a set screw. I have 2 sets on my truck.
Hood & tonneau cover. A bit pricey but hey it's billet!!

You can get 'em from here ......

Welcome to Billet & Acrylic Fantasies

Tom is a great guy to deal with. He'll need to know the o.d. & length of the strut and walla!

Last edited by bnbpt; 08 Sep 2008 at 05:09 am.