Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Not Impressed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2008, 11:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Not Impressed

Well I'm not impressed with the Chrysler planner that designed the battery placement. 1st of all you have to remove the entire air box. Than you have to undo pos and Neg..than you have to contort to get the nut off the metal bracket that goes over top of the battery and obstructs and prevents openning the battery. Than you have to put everything else back together. And to add insult to injury...Why did Chrysler not put a light on the underside of the hood? Even I would have thought of this...most other cars have a light under the hood...and not such an ordeal to change the battery
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 05 Sep 2008, 11:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Not Impressed

Well its done....everything works...and I don't see any flickering of my interior lights....now just to get the furnace and central vacuum fixed.
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 06 Sep 2008, 04:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I could sense your frustration with your first post, glad everything turned out all right with the PT . The rest, (shrugs shoulders) good luck!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Sep 2008, 06:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The shape of the PT's front end made the engineers put in everything wherever there was room. The battery should only have to be replaced every few years so it's not too much trouble to get at.

As far as the light under the hood. Chrysler started deleting all kinds of little things right after the first model year. The list of things deleted are too numerous to mention. If it would have come with a light I'm sure it would have been gone by the time you bought yours.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06 Sep 2008 at 06:45 am.
Old 06 Sep 2008, 07:12 am
Regular Cruiser

careyk....Were would YOU put the battrey? And remember it has to be in a safe spot, bolted down and not inside the car were it's NOT safe. I think Chrysler engineers did a great job in planning and designing the PT. You can't please everyone no matter how hard you try.
Old 06 Sep 2008, 09:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Maybe the battery could have been mounted in the trunk ie like in the Magnum SRT8????
Old 06 Sep 2008, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good Idea, But, the Magnum is 3 times the size of the PT. Most of us need all the storage space the PT can provide.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Sep 2008, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well at least the battery is in a place you would expect one to be. My wife had a 2004 Cadillac De Ville and the battery went dead just after she got the car. I opened the hood and could not see anything remotely resembling a battery. I thought she must have left the lights on or something and just wanted a jump. As I was sitting in the car waiting for Cadillac’s roadside assistance, I read the owners manual and it said the battery was under the seat. I looked under the seats but no battery was found. The folks at Cadillac called my cell and told me they would be a little long getting there so I told them I would leave the keys in the hospital office and I went home. Three days later they still had not picked up the car and it was still in the parking lot. To make a long story short, I expressed my concerns about support on a $48,000 car and after many shrugs of the shoulders and many oh wells, I found out that the battery is under the back seat on the passengers side. All you have to do is take the back seat out and there it is.

I guess that may be alright, but in the middle of the night out in the rain, one does not appreciate having to drag the back seat out to check the battery. So even if it is not convenient, I can at least see it on the PT with the hood open and a flash light. Not so on my wife’s Cad which is now a BMW and it has the battery in the trunk but there is a light and it is easy to get work on and check.
Old 06 Sep 2008, 11:00 am
Young Cruiser

I had to replace the 9V battery on the PT last week, and it's not in a bad place acutally. It's located where most american vehicles have the battery located. I had a BMW that I sold a couple of years ago, and the battery was in the trunk. It took me about thirty minutes to find the damn thing; I had to read the manual just to find where the battery was at.
Old 06 Sep 2008, 05:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman

Well, I'm a machinist trained at Dunwoody college of technology in Minneapolis MN, and part of the training included learning the basics of a few cad programs, and a few engineering and design basics. one more year and I would have had a degree in engineering as well. My father was a mechanical drafter with a little engineering experience, and I have always been fascinated by engineering feats. The PT in my mind is one such feat. It is extremely well layed out (with the exception of the power mirror and power window switch locations). The interior is functional, spacious, and luxurious looking. The engine bay engineering is amazing as well. To fit everything in its place and make it fairly accessible in such a small area is no easy task. though the car has drawbacks, as a whole I believe it is one of the best engineered cars I have ever driven.
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off