PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Antenna broke in car wash -- Replacement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Oct 2008, 12:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Antenna broke in car wash -- Replacement?

A couple of hours after running my new cruiser through the full service car wash on Saturday, I noticed the antenna was missing. It looks like it was snapped off right at the base where it mounts to the fender.

I'm not sure exactly what's involved in replacing it, so any advice would be welcome.

I'd like to replace it without changing a whole lot the mounting hardware and such, will that limit me to oem replacement part? Otherwise, will one aftermarket antenna get better reception than another? Particularly on AM stations?
Old 13 Oct 2008, 01:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Antenna broke in car wash -- Replacement?

Aurock, it should just remove it using the base of the antenna. You can check with a dealer or wrecker. I removed mine and put a "shorty" antenna on it, (We have Sirius radio and very seldom listen to AM/FM.) no, I do not wish to sell it as I plan on putting it back on when/if we plan to trade it in.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 Oct 2008, 01:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Aurock, it should just remove it using the base of the antenna. You can check with a dealer or wrecker. I removed mine and put a "shorty" antenna on it, (We have Sirius radio and very seldom listen to AM/FM.) no, I do not wish to sell it as I plan on putting it back on when/if we plan to trade it in.
Thanks. Someone just posted a pic of the base of a pt cruiser antenna on another forum I mentioned this on, and it looks like if there's supposed to be a hex part where you can just unscrew the mast, that's gone too. The broken portion is about flush with the top of the chrome ring. I'm thinking I'll have to remove the part under the fender and replace it.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 01:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you will have to remove all. I just checked on e bay, all kinds of antennas from $9.99 & up. I wouldn't think a stock antenna would be any more that that. You will have to use a screwdriver and hammer to tap the nut loose, be very careful or you WILL scratch the fender when the screwdriver slips. I know all about that.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 Oct 2008, 02:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Car washes with brushes eat things off of cars and eventually destroy the paint. I'd never use one. If you can't physically wash your car then go to a touchless car wash.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Oct 2008, 02:49 pm
Young Cruiser

The nicer/full service car washes here are all brush type. I use the manual car washes normally, but every once in a while I take it to a full service to get it washed & waxed.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 02:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Sorry to hear that. Go to AutoZone they have various amounts of replacement antennas.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 13 Oct 2008, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Antenna broke in car wash -- Replacement?

REPLACEMENT !!
Definately! Get a replacement for your car wash!
The antenna is easy to replace. You can get your hand in by the passenger front door to support the mounting assembly, before taking the nut off. It will usually take hand pressure there to get the nut to retighten too.
I'm mechanically challenged, and I installed my chrome bezel and flamed shorty with no problems!

(Anybody remember the days when the neigborhood holligans would go around breaking off antennas, pissing off your Dad?)
OH! No offense Hooligan!

and ...QuickSilver 2.....the 2010 Couture Edition.
And....The 2005 Dream Cruiser Convertible....."My Chocolate Covered Cruiser".
Have now owned 4 PT Cruisers = fickle!.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 11:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Buy a shorty Antenna...very happy with mine...cheap too
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 14 Oct 2008, 12:52 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyk View Post
Buy a shorty Antenna...very happy with mine...cheap too
I tried the short antenna and reception SUCKED. I returned it and put my stock one back on.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!