Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Engine Replacement problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2008, 06:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Engine Replacement problems

Hi Cruisers,

I have a 2001 PT Limited that decided to destroy its engine at the 61,000 mile mark. Although the car had a perfect service record from my local Chrysler dealer, I could not get an explination on why it happened. I closed my eyes and $6,000 later they replaced the engine and starter with a used engine.

I got the car back with an oil leak. I took it back and was told that the Rear Main Seal is leaking. They have to take the engine out to replace it which is another $1,000. Even though the car came back to me with a leak it did not have before it went in, they now claim that this seal failed independently from the fact that they replaced the engine.

My thinking is that they either damaged the seal when they replaced the engine or if it is normal for this seal to fail around 61,000 mile, they should have replaced it as a precaution. I do however not have enough knowledge of this seal and how it fits into the engine.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
CR

2001 PT Cruiser Limited
2006 PT Cruiser Touring
Old 23 Oct 2008, 06:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Replacement problems

Sorry, but it sure sounds like they are trying to milk you for all your worth. 6K is way too much to pay for a used engine and your should have gotten some sort of guarranty or warranty for 6 months at least. The rear main seal is not common with the cruiser unless it's had a lot of mileage and even then NOT common.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 26 Oct 2008, 03:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin. I got a couple of quotes from local garages. The Chrysler Dealership was the cheapest. According to the service consultant, the 6 mont guarantee does not cover the seal.

I suppose that this is going to take me getting really nasty to get this fixed.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 09:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Dont know where you live but the 6 months should cover the Engine and the seal is a part of said ENGINE man $6000 for a used engine how many miles were on it??? I am hoping not many I would almost bet you could do a complete rebuild for that kind of cash
Old 27 Oct 2008, 01:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Teekypt

I don't think it's customary for the rear seal to go at 61,000 miles...I'm over 60,000 and don't have this problem...I think they're being butt heads.

http://www.math.uh.edu/~tai/Today/Clean3.jpg
Old 27 Oct 2008, 03:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The dealer is trying to rip you. They sold you a defective engine with that bad seal. My wife has 108k miles on her '04 PT and no seal problem.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Oct 2008, 10:42 am
Young Cruiser

Jasper rebuilt PT mill is $3500 installed and they would have given you a 3 year 75k mile warranty. Plus the authorized Jasper installer would have replaced the seal before installation as a preventative measure.

I've had 3 Jasper rebuilt engines installed in 3 ford trucks and they have honored the warranty even when there was an oil seal failure at 35months into the warranty with 72K on the rebuilt engine.

My mother in law has a Jasper in here toyota Corolla (orig died at 175K) and has had no troubles.

The stealer (excuse me) dealer, is expecting you to play B.O.H.I.C.A.
(Bend Over Here It Comes again), park the PT infront of the dealership wityh a sign on it telling olks what happened and see if they don;t fix it...or let them sue you and nail them in court.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 11:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a Jasper engine in a S 10 it has 145,000 on it and it still runs great