PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

PT starter problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2009, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up PT starter problems

had two starters go out in a 2002 PT cruiser. actually it was the solenoid both times. the first starter replacement came from the dealer, [only lasted 1 year ] the second lasted 1 year the problem as some of you know is that the dealer or aftermarket don't sell the solenoid for a PT. i took the starter to a rebuild shop that works on alternaters. there is a solenoid that works on that starter. maybe from a jeep ,not sure. the only difference is that the pos connection is in a different spot. but still plenty of room . under $ 20.00 .after 2.5 years still no problem
hope this info helps . wish i had more
junker
Old 02 Jan 2009, 06:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT starter problems

Thanks for the information Junker. Not too many problems pop up here on the forum for the starter/solenoid but hopefully yours will keep running ok.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 02 Jan 2009, 07:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: PT starter problems

crewzin
thanks for the reply. i am supprised that the solenoid issue
on pt's is not a bigger problem. or is it ? at least there is a plan
in place for under $ 20.00
Old 04 Jan 2009, 09:27 am
Cool Cruiser

I've serviced nearly 100 PTs for almost 8 years. Not 1 starter has ever required replacement.
I also fielded PT tech questions from all over the world for 5 years at www.PTdiy.net. With well over 1000 tech posts, not 1 starter question had been received.

Yours is certainly not a common fault.
Old 04 Jan 2009, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

MX -5
going through 2 factory starters in two years would make anyone
wonder. at least people now know that there is a cheap alternative
than paying for a starter.[ if it turns out to be the solenoid ]
P.S. going on 2.5 years with the aftermarket
solenoid later
Old 16 Jan 2009, 08:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: PT starter problems

Well I recently had a new solenoid and EGR valve replaced in my 2002 Cruiser. Now the thing is sitting out at the curb because it's -24 degrees outside and won't start. Starts turning over and then just clicks! I'm hoping this is just because of the cold and not the starter. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 16 Jan 2009, 08:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That "clicking" sound is a tell-tale sign of a weak battery. If I was sitting outside in -24 degee weather I probably wouldn't even be able to "click".

Only kidding of course, but extreme cold or hot weather plays havoc with batteries.

Welcome to the forum.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 16 Jan 2009, 10:03 am
Cool Cruiser

It didn't get down to -24 here last night but we did see -12, or maybe a bit colder. Mine also sits outside as I live in an apartment. Even though I have a brand new battery, I don't think 550 cranking amps is all that much. So to insure that I had a chance of getting mine started this morning, I went out and started it about every four hours all night. That meant 10pm and 2am, but it did start this morning, maybe a bit slowly, but started.

Today it is only supposed to be around 8 for a high with wind chill of up to -20. Tomorrow we're going to have a heat wave, up to around 30 in the afternoon, then colder Sunday with a chance of more snow.

Every day it one day closer to the month of May and the Indianapolis 500
Old 16 Jan 2009, 10:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hey grayerrol:
I don't know if you have them where you live but, we have what I call a warming blanket, (think i got it at like auto zone????? it is totaly non flamable and pretty think) you get a nice warm engine and open the hood lay this blanket over the motor close it up and it helps keep the heat in
I know that a lot of cold comes from below so it is not the best thing but it seems to help,,,
also I have a small trickle charger hooked up to my battery when it is that cold,,
I think they make like a warming tray that the battery sits in that will help keep it warm.
I just cant imagine how cold it must be way up north it was like -38 how do you ever manage to keep warm ( plus i live on a farm with cows' horses' goats cats, and dogs, what do you do with them in that kind of cold?????)
Old 16 Jan 2009, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

i agree with crewzin about the battery ,but on my stepsons 2002 it turned out to be the solenoid. it also clicked somewhat like a dead battery.
as you guys know you cannot buy a solenoid at the store for a pt. they don't list them.taking the solenoid to a auto store doesn't help because
most of the part guys [ but not all ] are only computer part number smart.
if that makes any sense.thats why i took it to a starter repair place. i wish i remembered what solenoid they used. only charged me around $18.00.
later