PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

ABS and Traction control warning lights on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2009, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ABS and Traction control warning lights on

Help. Ive a 2001 automatic limited cruiser and the amber ABS light and amber traction control are on all the time and the hand brake warning light comes on, often, whilst driving. Is my only option taking it to a garage miles away to put on a diagnostic computer ?
Old 07 Jan 2009, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: ABS and Traction control warning lights on

have you tried looking for any kind of code the computer might be storing?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 07 Jan 2009, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

have you tried looking for any kind of code the computer might be storing? All 3 lights indicate you have something wrong with the braking system. Were you in any kind of crash? Is the brake fluid container filled to the proper level? Any sings of fluid leak from the braking system at the wheels?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 07 Jan 2009, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I will check the brake fluid in the morning (Im in England, freezing and dark)
How do I check for codes ?
Old 07 Jan 2009, 04:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Put the key in the ignition and without actually starting the car, turn the key forward, then back. Do this 3 times within 5 seconds and the 3rd time keep the key pointing towards the windshield. if there's a code stored in the computer it will show up in the center dial, example: P0700 and if there's no codes stored it will say "done".

Also, if you haven't done, take a look at a great U.K. site that has loads of members willing to help out with questions. You don't have to join but some of the forum won't be accessible if you don't.

UK Cruiser Club :: Index
Old 08 Jan 2009, 02:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again for the help and info. I checked the brake fluid, its a bit down but nothing major. I checked for codes and there were none stored. Ive got a guy coming round tomorrow to hook it up to a computer to hopefully tell me why the lights are on- lets see if that works, when I find out ill let you know the result. All the best.
Old 09 Jan 2009, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin, the diagnostic says Ive got a broken front left sensor which is effecting the ABS, the Traction off and maybe the handbrake light but that might be something else. Ill find out Monday how much that will cost with labour, sounds like its a pretty easy job but as Cruisers arent that common in my part of the world, Im sure they will charge top amount for the part. Well see.
Old 09 Jan 2009, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

..and your part of the world is:....?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Jan 2009, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There are sensors by each wheel - they seem to be sensitive to moisture - my lights TRAC & ABS come on in rain/snow - just when you need them
If wet for several days, brake light comes on, too. When it all drys out, lights go out.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Jan 2009, 10:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
There are sensors by each wheel - they seem to be sensitive to moisture - my lights TRAC & ABS come on in rain/snow - just when you need them
If wet for several days, brake light comes on, too. When it all drys out, lights go out.
Hmmm....I have been having a similar problem. The ABS and TC/OFF light combination has been on in my PT for a day or so. It won't stay on consistently though. The weather has been junk lately with lots of rain and cold weather.

If wonder if its the same problem. I tried to get a trouble code, but it just came back with Done.