PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

hood release

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2009, 02:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default hood release

I recently inherited a 2002 cruiser. I noticed the hood release lever was difficult to pull, and was afraid i'd break it. well, sub-zero temps here and it snapped. cable and plastic lever on the interior.
I've spent hours searching, but it's a difficult set of keywords. anyone know where to get a replacement (besides dealer) or better yet is there an aftermarket (better) one available?
Old 17 Jan 2009, 04:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: hood release

Salvage yard or dealer. I know of no other aftermarket available. Shaggylive, welcome to the Forum!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Jan 2009, 08:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the reply. you would think with the poor oem design that someone would have an aftermarket available. oh, well, JY diving I go...
Old 20 Jan 2009, 09:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It couldn't be too poor of a design. I've been on this and other PT forums for 8 years and your the first that I've ever heard of a broken hood release.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 20 Jan 2009, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had the same problem on a minivan I had. The problem was due to not enough lubrication between the shaft and the cover, so I was told. It was covered under dealer warranty.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Jan 2009, 12:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

I suppose I should have thought of that (lubricant). it was hard to open when I got it, but I just thought it was because it was such a tiny lever. I'm sure there was some ice up at the hood latch, combined with the sub-zero temps when it broke, I was asking for trouble.. oh well, live and learn. hope it's not too much of a pain to pull/replace.
btw, it's an 02 with 40k, so it did alot of sitting around when it was young. i've almost got it up to 44k in a month, speaking of which it needs an oil change.... grrr.

Last edited by shaggylive; 22 Jan 2009 at 12:36 am.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 10:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to garciaag

i to broke my cable today and thought older car might as well get a new one for the extra 20.00 ill spend but i see crewzin said this was the first experiance with this issue...got me thinking if i should save the 20 and just maintain the hood release cable from the junk yard. how hard of a job is this to do? the dealer will sell me the whole cable with the release handle so i was wondering if i can just snip the handle and then pull the new cable through. then there is the issue of opening my hood! any ideas? thanks in advance!
Old 16 Jun 2009, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

garciaag,

Here's your answer.....

If you look in the grill you should actually see the hood latch mechanism and the cable coming out of it. Now the cable has two parts which I'll call the wire and the sleeve. (The wire runs inside the sleeve) Take a long screwdriver and pry the sleeve away from the piece holding it in place. The wire should still be connected to whatever it's connected to. Now just pull the cable with a pliers or channel lock and it'll open.

Now this is on a 2001 P.T. Cruiser, non-special edition. I'm not sure if this same procedure will work on newer models or Limited and Touring editions.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 16 Jun 2009, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to garciaag

yup thats what i used to do but the wire and sleeve are completely off just hanging free. so thats not going to work!
Old 16 Jun 2009, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not good. I just took a good hard look at the main latch and it's pretty well hidden by the secondary latch, otherwise you may be able to pry it open with a big long screwdriver. Sorry, don't know what else to suggest.