PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

2000 2001 pt cruiser heads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2009, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2000 2001 pt cruiser heads

The problem with over heating was fixed in 2002 and up models.Sorry for us with the older 2000 and 2001 models but i will give you a hint on what you need to do if you can If replacing the head gasket need be you have to turn the head over when its off and you will see 3 wholes in the bottom close to the valves on one side and none on the other you need to place the head gasket on the head and mark the holes on the other side.Then find a drill bit the size of that hole and carefully drill the otherside out but use extreme caution you do not drill to far you will feal the drill bit go threw and when it does that is all you need to do dont go any farther thru you will be in big trouble if you do and you will have to try and find anouther head then.But this is the issue with these heads on 00 and 01 models they have only 3 holes on one side.The 2002 and up models have six holes three on one side and three on the other.I know from experiance i studied this a couple days ago and had this problem now my car runs at the first temp line in the dash.Trust me drilling those holes will not ruin your head just be real carefull while doing it.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2000 2001 pt cruiser heads

Thanks for the info, but if your right, shouldn't all the 2000 and 2001 models have an overheating problem because of the head?

Mine was born on September 2000 as a 2001 model and the only thing that's ever happened is the fan motor burnt up. It now has 96,000 miles and no matter what, the needle always stays below half way and never tries to overheat.

Maybe Chrysler found the problem early in 2000 and from then on the problem was fixed. After all, there was a change made after the first couple of months where Chrysler started putting in the 4 window switches instead of 2 that were on the first 2-3 months of production. I have the 4 switches so the change was quite early during production.

Is this the 3 holes your talking about...and your saying there should be 3 more?

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Jan 2009 at 02:27 pm.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Mine has 122,000 on it.Believe me i have spent a week looking into this and if you dont flush the systom you will have this problem and used the correct antifreeze.you cannot tell what head you have by looking at the block the problem is not there if you look at a head gasket you will see six holes inbetween the cylinder holes on the 2000 and 2001 head if you set the head gasket on the head and look at these holes you will only see three in the head but if you do the same w a 2002 and up head you will see 6 holes 2000 and 2001 this was a big water restriction so they changed it so the water could flow easier and help keep the motor cooler aswellmine barly moves of the blue mark since i drilled the holes out and replaced the head.I did this work myself there was no way ii was paying the dealership 3000 dollers when i could do it i have driven it for 40 miles since i did the job and have had no problems and like i said it barely moves past the blue mark now and before it would go halfway and above.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe you and if Chrysler changed the heads like you said in 2002 I guess they found something wrong or something that could go potentially wrong but not everyone is having the problem of overheating without a different cause, like the fan motor burning out and once that's fixed, the PT is running fine. Glad yours is fixed and running cool. Hopefully the information you supplied will help someone down the line.

An extensive search for the 2001 PT doesn't turn up any TSB's for head work so I guess they are keeping the swap in 2002 in-house as not to cause a recall.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Jan 2009 at 06:41 pm.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have heard something about some program that dealership has to put in some becouse it will not ground the fan or something to that affect.I hope you never have the problem i have had with this i baught it used on top of that but i got a really good deal on it and my wife loved this little car.I guess the people that had it before me didnt tske to good care of it.I only had 6 months before it went down.But they are a fun little car to drive around.
Old 18 Jan 2009, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep, that's why they sold over a million of them. Too bad this is the last year of production. I just hope they keep spare parts around for awhile because I plan on keeping mine for a few more years. A timing belt change latter this year and hopefully a couple more years of trouble free driving.