PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

One more try... Cruise control not working...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2009, 07:57 am
Young Cruiser

Question One more try... Cruise control not working...

Okay I bought my cruiser and the cruise control never worked...

I hit the button on the end of the control handle and the light on the dash turns on... However I can't get it to set to a speed...

I have pushed on it up and down... soft, hard and almost to the point of breaking it off...

I am interested in ideas... Anyone have a cruise control handle they want to sell (IE: parting one or anything like that?)

I checked the fuses, the vacuum thing under the hood... Nothing seams bad... Just wont enguage...

Iridium plugs, K&N Typhoon intake..

Wrapped up in 16" Perelli rubber...

Viper remote start alarm system, JVC AVX-820 (7" LCD, AM/FM/CD/DVD/Bluetooth), 10" rockford fosgate with a 300w amp...

CLICKY, Jered's car domain page
Old 27 Jan 2009, 08:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: One more try... Cruise control not working...

If you double checked everything, the bad news is that part of the computer (PCM/ECM ?) does play a factor in the operation. Have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes since you had the problem with the cruise? It resets a lot of things and just maybe might help.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 27 Jan 2009, 09:33 am
Young Cruiser

I will give it a try... The bad thing is it was like it when I bought it... even mentioned it on the test drive... I'm not big on using the cruise (as I spent to long in alaska where you have to much ice and crap on the roads to use it) but it would be nice if it worked if I wanted it to...

Hopefully that will help...

Viper remote start alarm system, JVC AVX-820 (7" LCD, AM/FM/CD/DVD/Bluetooth), 10" rockford fosgate with a 300w amp...

Old 27 Jan 2009, 11:22 am
Cool Cruiser

On mine, I don't know if a piece is missing off the back but I have to press a piece, like maybe the plunger, back into place every now and then or my cruise control won't work either. You might trying feeling on the back of your lever to see if you have any exposed parts that need to be pressed back into place.

Like I said, I don't know if mine is normal with the open back or if the back is missing. Nothing falls out onto the floor, just one end of the plunger seems to swing out and needs to be pressed back with my finger.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 11:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I think if your missing a piece it's not normal.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 01:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
[/IMG]
Yep, I'd say I'm missing the back of the switch. Oh, and the not "Normal" part, that's what most people say abut me
Old 27 Jan 2009, 01:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post

That's what mine looks like...

Think I'm gonna tear it apart on thursday (day off) and see if I can shade tree it to see if it at least works...

Then buy what needs to be bought to repair it correctly...

1st tonight the unhooked battery... Do I have to screw with the whole window thing on the vert with unhooking my battery? ugh...

Old 27 Jan 2009, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jered View Post
. Do I have to screw with the whole window thing on the vert with unhooking my battery? ugh...
Window thing ??? Unless something has changed, you do have to take all the parts of the air intake out. That gives you access to the battery. Just take the negative cable off for about 5 minutes, re-attach it and put the air filter back together.

When you first start it up it might stumble a bit, but you should drive it for a couple miles. The computer re-learns setting and the way you drive in the first few miles.
Old 27 Jan 2009, 01:49 pm
Young Cruiser

I got a vert... Isn't there some horror story where after the battery is dead or unhooked, it screws with the windows when opening the doors, one side wont work, etc... Just don't want to make more issues then it has...

Old 27 Jan 2009, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not sure. I found this on PT Do-It-Yourself.net.....

I have a 2005 TE Convertible with 11.5k miles. I disconnected the battery cable to clean the post (+ side), and after it was reconnected, the windows won't work. Checked fuses (#9 in PDC under hood and #14 interior fuse box) and all are ok. Called the dealer in Texas, and he said to disconnect the battery for 15 to 20 minutes, and that should bleed out any reserve charge in the circuit, and then the windows should operate. Has anyone tried this before? Also, I can't reset the clock. Any help would be appreciated. Brian, from Guatemala.

Always disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable first, then disconnect the positive cable. When reinstalling the battery cables, start with the positive cable first, than connect the negative cable. The method that the dealer suggested is normally used to disarm (bleed capacitors) the restraint system. You can try it, but if it doesn't work try resetting the IOD fuse by removing and reinstalling. Read through this section for more information on the IOD fuse. If that doesn't work and all the other fuses appear to be ok have it checked. There's a TSB for this inoperable window/top issue on some PT Convertibles. See your owner's manual for instructions on resetting the clock.