Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trac control or ABS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2009, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trac control or ABS?

I am the original owner of our 2001 PT LTD with 106,000 miles. Last night while driving the traction control off light came on and the switch now does nothing. Then the ABS light along with the emergency brake light is on. Checked the fluids and all are OK. We recently had a light snow and they used alot of liquid salt spray, I am wondering if this affected a wheel sensor? If so how do I determine which one is bad, and is this the same sensor for the traction control? Thanks for your input in advance. I have maintained our baby since new and have had excellent service from our PT.
Old 01 Feb 2009, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Trac control or ABS?

Just Pulled all 4 wheels and removed all 4 sensors and cleaned them then re-installed. All brakes (disc) front & rear are great. Fluid is up. Pulled the fuse for the ECM and it is good.
I am suspecting the ECM for the ABS since the lights are on for the E-brake (red) and ABS (Orange) and Trac Control off (orange)
I really hate random parts replacement and would like to know how to determine if the ECM is bad or how to find a bad sensor.
Can anyone here enlighten me? Please?
Old 01 Feb 2009, 07:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Trac control or ABS?

Happens to me - when it's wet - rain or slush - ABS & TRAC lights and sometime brake light comes on. When it dries out, lights go out.
No help, I know, but you're not alone.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Feb 2009, 09:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the reply but I don't believe that is the problem as I cleaned all the sensors and it has been very dry here for the past 5 days. I guess I will be forced to take it to the dreaded dealership for diagnostics as no one on this site appears to have much knowledge on particular topic. I was hoping to find other owners with similar problems who could help me to understand weather the culprit is the ECM or an ABS wheel sensor and how to determine which. I really appreciate your feedback though. Thanks for the input.
Old 02 Feb 2009, 08:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Try PTCrew. There are threads there of people having the same symptoms as mine.
Did you take battery cable off and see if light comes back on?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Feb 2009, 11:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

no tsb's but i can say this i know with certin gm products when the abs system cant gain enough power from the vehicle (dieing alternator) the abs system shuts down and throws a MIL up. might not apply to you but it might.
posible pcm fault?
somthing sent ur trac into nogo mode and then ur abs...try unhooking the battery for about 10-15 mins to clear the code (you can go shorter but just to be damn sure go 10+)
Old 03 Feb 2009, 02:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

i have the same problem with my cruiser. within the next week i will be checking it at school to see what codes it is sending and what the problem might be.. it might be the same thing might not.. i can let you know after i scan it to tell you what your problem could possibly be. And nodd89 has a good idea that may very well be the problem, just go Advance auto and have them test your alternator its free..
Old 03 Feb 2009, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did disconnect the battery with no success and also fuse #7 underhood (for the ECM for ABS) no luck there either. Went to nearby auto parts store and the kid hooked up a scanner but it was OBDII and so no luck there. I asked if they had a brake scan reading tool for the ABS system. He said yes but only for sale at $200.00. I declined. Local brakes plus wants $75.00 to scan the ABS brake system. I declined. I am taking it in today to a repair shop that I trust. I am retired now but have done all the work on the PT since new as I don't trust anyone to do as thorough and carefull job. Been burned too many times. will post as to the results as soon as I know more. Thanks again to everyone for your input.
Old 04 Feb 2009, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Trac control or ABS?

Took the PT to a reputable garage to have the ABS Scanned and determined that the drivers side front sensor was bad. Cost $38.00 for the scan. Note this is not an engine OBDII type. I checked and a brake scan tool costs $299.00. No thanks.
My local auto parts stores did not thave the ABS wheel speed sensor for the left front, but was able to get one brand new from my local Dodge dealer overnight for only $58.12. I jacked p the front removed the wheel and using a 10mm wrench removed the sensor and wire - pluged in at other end. Installed the new one but lights were still on until the car was driven for about three miles then all off and traction control works again. All is well on the PT again. So once again, $38.00 for brake system scan to determin the faulty sensor, and $58.00 for new one.
Easy 10 minute and one wrench fix that saved me over $100.00
Old 05 Feb 2009, 12:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

That's great news! good thing it wasn't something worse..