PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Platinum plugs on a turbo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2009, 08:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Platinum plugs on a turbo?

I see this advice here and on other forums:

Don't use platinum plugs on a turbo engine.

Well why the heck not? I do - and I'm fine. What is the problem? What is the reason why you shouldn't? Is it because "bob" said so? Or is there some underlying reason rooted in physics? Is it cause the turbos hot?
Old 13 Mar 2009, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Platinum plugs on a turbo?

Here's a few answers that we've seen thru the years......

Platinum plugs stay too hot (that's why they run cleaner) and cause premature ignition in turbo and supercharged engines.

the platinum burns off in turbo cars, they simply come apart under high cylinder pressures. Running them could cost you your engine.

From an ad for Platinums: Fits all domestic PT Cruisers, not recommended for Turbo model cruisers, runs to hot.

From PT Do-It-Yoursellf.net: We like the Champion Double Platinum plugs on the non-aspirated engine. They are not recommended for use on the PT Turbo. Platinum almost eliminates electrode wear and can double or even triple a spark plug's normal service life.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 12:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Here's a few answers that we've seen thru the years......

Platinum plugs stay too hot (that's why they run cleaner) and cause premature ignition in turbo and supercharged engines.

the platinum burns off in turbo cars, they simply come apart under high cylinder pressures. Running them could cost you your engine.

From an ad for Platinums: Fits all domestic PT Cruisers, not recommended for Turbo model cruisers, runs to hot.

From PT Do-It-Yoursellf.net: We like the Champion Double Platinum plugs on the non-aspirated engine. They are not recommended for use on the PT Turbo. Platinum almost eliminates electrode wear and can double or even triple a spark plug's normal service life.
Yep, you want little pieces of spark plug going into your engine go ahead and use platinum plugs in your turbo.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Mar 2009, 01:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think I understand now:

Found this and while it is not by a peer reviewed engineering journal or anything, its better than nothing.

Definitely recall that platinum plugs (and not Bosch platinum where the amount of actual platinum needs to be measured with microscale) - but real Platinum plugs are only designed for very long service life. And I do know what its like changing plugs on a 4th gen f-body - wow was that tough.

So the only advantage is service life it seems, as easy as it is to change plugs on the motor that shouldn't be an issue.

OK, I hadn't made the distinction between the Iridiums that I have (NGK Iridium IX) and platinums. So I thought that I perhaps was running plats. I'm not. So have there actually been reports of electrodes overheating and falling into the combustion chamber? I dunno about the gap thing this guy is talking about - All it took was to ever so slightly press to get from 0.050 to 0.035, If it can't take that - all hope is lost....

Quote:
Usually platinum plugs are used in applications where the serivce life of the plug needs tpo be extended(aka 4th gen F-body!). There is NO other advantage to them, period. Platinum does NOT conduct electricity as well as copper, and if they are designed crappy they tend to not hold up in very high heat applications due to the way the platinum is bonded to the actual electrode.

Iridium is better as it can withstand higher heat, and conducts electricity better than platinum. They also tend to make the entire electrode out of it, and the electode is typically smaller. They also extend service life over standard copper.

Neither platinum OR Iridium plugs should be gapped!!! EVER!! The chance of damaging the elctrode is too great, so you pretty much HOPE the factory got it right! Iridium IS stronger than platinum, but becuase of the size of the typical electrode in those plugs, you still aren't supposed to gap them. So, there goes another way to tune your set-up out the window.

I suggest sticking with regular old copper type plugs and prepping them propperly(gapping, back-cutting the electrode, ect.) and using the various heat ranges and styles(projection or not) to find what works best for your set-up.....

YMMV
Old 13 Mar 2009, 03:06 pm
PLUMLUVPT

Iridium's are the best.........

NGK Spark Plugs USA

NGK Spark Plugs USA

Last edited by PLUMLUVPT; 13 Mar 2009 at 03:54 pm.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 04:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMLUVPT View Post
Iridium's are the best.........
NGK Spark Plugs USA
NGK Spark Plugs USA

That's it? Nothing to add to the conversation, just some links for what you think is the best? Anything to back up your statement?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 04:46 pm
PLUMLUVPT

I go for what lasts the longest....... Denso Iridium better for racing apps......... But NGK will outlast Platinum and Denso Iridiums..........
Old 13 Mar 2009, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There your go again, statements without facts. Anything to back them up?

Old 13 Mar 2009, 08:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

For $6 I'll continue to use the stock Copper Plus plugs in my highly modified SRT-4. I don't see a reason to spend around $40 for irridium plugs when the stock plugs make my car a beast.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 27 Aug 2010, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just to revive an old thread and make the point vary clear...
Here's an Autolite double platinum plug that was in my vehicle for less than 2300 miles. Yes... 2300. And the reason it was in that long is that I was on a trip to Michigan from North Carolina and did not have the time to replace it.
The car went up the first mountain fine. Once in West Virginia, under moderate boost (5-10 PSI) for lengthy periods (2-3 minutes) it started misfiring. After that, any time longer than 3-4 seconds spent over 5 PSI caused once cylinder to misfire. The PCM finally figured out it was cylinder #1, setting a code and turning on the CEL. Once I got home and pulled the plugs, this is what I found...
No more platinum plugs in this car for sure!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rotation of photo.JPG (28.3 KB, 88 views)