Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
new guy, want to imrove performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2009, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default new guy, want to imrove performance

Hi, I'm new to this forum but i have had an 02 manual PT for a little over a year. I just found out about this dragway neer where i live and i wanted to race my friend. He has an old jeta with a glasspack on it.

My Pt is stock except for the replacement K&N filter. I was just wondering if it would be worth it for me to cut off my muffler and add a glasspack like my friend did, I know it would sound better but would it make any difference in HP. Also I don't have much money to spend, but would it be worth saving up for a cold air intake K&N seeing as I already have a K&N replacement filter. Also i've heard of people making their own cold air intakes out of pvc and cone filters. Do you think it would be a good idea to try that?

Thanks for your time, this looks like a pretty nice forum.

Last edited by wesinator; 13 Mar 2009 at 03:18 pm. Reason: wanted to add something else
Old 13 Mar 2009, 10:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: new guy, want to imrove performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesinator View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum but i have had an 02 manual PT for a little over a year. I just found out about this dragway neer where i live and i wanted to race my friend. He has an old jeta with a glasspack on it.

My Pt is stock except for the replacement K&N filter. I was just wondering if it would be worth it for me to cut off my muffler and add a glasspack like my friend did, I know it would sound better but would it make any difference in HP. Also I don't have much money to spend, but would it be worth saving up for a cold air intake K&N seeing as I already have a K&N replacement filter. Also i've heard of people making their own cold air intakes out of pvc and cone filters. Do you think it would be a good idea to try that?

Thanks for your time, this looks like a pretty nice forum.
Glasspack ain't gonna help much if any as far as performance. Cold air intake may add 2-3 hp, not enough the make a noticeable difference. Nitrous or turbo charger is about the only way to give the PT more power. I've got dual exhaust on mine and had the cold air intake at one time. Still no improvement. Just have to content that the PT is a lot cooler looking than your frends Jetta.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 01:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cathy06PT

I agree turbo is the only way to go...Don't bother wasting money on the small things and welcome to the site!!!!!!!
Old 14 Mar 2009, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, that's what i was afraid of. but i think i'm still going to get the glass pack to make it sound cooler.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 10:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesinator View Post
Ok, that's what i was afraid of. but i think i'm still going to get the glass pack to make it sound cooler.
And while an intake doesn't add much HP, it does improve throttle response. (AND sounds cool, too)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles