Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Drum brake replacement Parking brake cable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2009, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Drum brake replacement Parking brake cable

Finally getting around to replacing the drums and shoes on the rear of my 2002 PT. Drums came off OK, and I'm reassembling with all new hardware.

However, I'm having an issue putting the brake cable back into the U shaped plate behind the shoe. The spring has tension on it and I can't pull it back enough to get it seated. I'm assuming I need to remove the tension? And I think that is going to require disassembly of the center console - and that looks like tons of work.

Any ideas?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 07:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Drum brake replacement Parking brake cable

Here is the trick. You do have to loosen the console but don't have to remove it. Take the screws out of both the front and the rear of the console. You need a pair of vise grips fairly long, needle nose work the best. Lift the rear of the console up with the park brake handle down, released. Grab a hold of the single cable that goes up to the park brake mechanism with the vise grips. Pull it towards the rear of the car about 1-2" or as far as it will go. Hold it in that position and pull up on the handle. The handle should go up freely and not pull on the cable. If it pulls on the cable you haven't pulled it back far enough. Once the handle is up you can release the cable you have the vise grips on. It will stay and you can pull the cable backwards at the drums. To get the cable to reconnect just put the handle back down and it will reset itself. You also have to do this trick to get the console off. This is a factory installation system built into the park brake.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Drum brake replacement Parking brake cable

Welp, I just finished in time to read your posting, Thanks very much for it. Wish I would have checked online earlier!

I ended up taking that plastic console completely out and was then able to do pretty much what you described to take tension off the line. It took me more time to take that console out then I care to mention. Seems that it won't come up easily without taking apart the dash or removing one of the arm rests. And those arm rests have a giant Torx screw holding them on. Lots of effort with swearing, grunting, groaning and pulling and I got it out.

Job is done, brakes seems better and all is again right with the world.

Thanks again for the tip.

DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340x View Post
Here is the trick. You do have to loosen the console but don't have to remove it. Take the screws out of both the front and the rear of the console. You need a pair of vise grips fairly long, needle nose work the best. Lift the rear of the console up with the park brake handle down, released. Grab a hold of the single cable that goes up to the park brake mechanism with the vise grips. Pull it towards the rear of the car about 1-2" or as far as it will go. Hold it in that position and pull up on the handle. The handle should go up freely and not pull on the cable. If it pulls on the cable you haven't pulled it back far enough. Once the handle is up you can release the cable you have the vise grips on. It will stay and you can pull the cable backwards at the drums. To get the cable to reconnect just put the handle back down and it will reset itself. You also have to do this trick to get the console off. This is a factory installation system built into the park brake.