PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP--NEW OWNER AND LOVE IT!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2009, 09:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to fullyfaith
Default HELP--NEW OWNER AND LOVE IT!!!

Hello everyone. I just got my 2001 PT Limited. I just love the way it drives... Anyways, I had to fix a tranny pan leak, the left tie rod, and an a/c leak. Now what seems to be going on--the blinkers work sometimes. When they don't work if we click them ourself--it starts them back working??? The traction control comes on when we start the car--is this normal? With it on, the brakes feel funny. Also, is there suppose to be a light in the gear shift selector--I csn't see the PRND31 at night. And after driving thru a big ole puddle of water--( normal for Okla) the tranny down shifted hard and the check engine deal came on--drove weird and then light went off and all is well. The mechanic said water got in some plug on the tranny on the bottom? He pulled it and dryed it and so far--all is well. Thank God. Thanks for reading--oh yeah, this baby has 113,500 miles!!! The person before me had all the service done, even changing the timing belt and water pump. The service records came with it!! Why does the transmisson pan leak so much? Lots of fixing it. Hope someone can help. Thanks,Kathy
Old 05 Apr 2009, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP--NEW OWNER AND LOVE IT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullyfaith View Post
Hello everyone. I just got my 2001 PT Limited. I just love the way it drives... Anyways, I had to fix a tranny pan leak, the left tie rod, and an a/c leak. Now what seems to be going on--the blinkers work sometimes. When they don't work if we click them ourself--it starts them back working??? The traction control comes on when we start the car--is this normal? With it on, the brakes feel funny. Also, is there suppose to be a light in the gear shift selector--I csn't see the PRND31 at night. And after driving thru a big ole puddle of water--( normal for Okla) the tranny down shifted hard and the check engine deal came on--drove weird and then light went off and all is well. The mechanic said water got in some plug on the tranny on the bottom? He pulled it and dryed it and so far--all is well. Thank God. Thanks for reading--oh yeah, this baby has 113,500 miles!!! The person before me had all the service done, even changing the timing belt and water pump. The service records came with it!! Why does the transmisson pan leak so much? Lots of fixing it. Hope someone can help. Thanks,Kathy
Kathy,

Welcome to the forum. A known problem on the PT is the Multi-function switch that controls, turn signals, headlights, fog lights etc. Sounds like yours might be going out.

There is supposed to be a light at the bottom of the shift lever. It's common that light bulbs burn out. It just needs to be replaced.

Never heard of the water doing anything to the tranny, but I'm sure it can happen ....stay away from large puddles.

I don't have it, but I believe the traction control should be ON when first starting up and can be shut off by your switch if you don't like it.

Why does the tranny pan leak so much, obviously, the mechanic that did the work didn't put it back on correctly.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Apr 2009, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the warm welcome!! Thanks for the reply. I was sure hoping you would say that about the tranny pan!! Is it hard to change the multifunction switch yourself? One more question--somewhere I read what people did to stop the tires from going flat. My driver side rear is driving me nuts--always having to air it up. I saw to grind off the bead on the rim and cover it in something but I can't remember what and I can't find where I read that info.
Yes, I will steer clear of any puddles!!! Unless a "have to" case--will stay home after a heavy rain!! On a self check of codes--I got a cruise--P0700. I don"t kinow what the cruise meant but I found that 0700 is the tranny computer. Could that be from him pulling the plug to dry it? Thank you so much for this site. Kathy
Old 05 Apr 2009, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullyfaith View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome!! Thanks for the reply. I was sure hoping you would say that about the tranny pan!! Is it hard to change the multifunction switch yourself? One more question--somewhere I read what people did to stop the tires from going flat. My driver side rear is driving me nuts--always having to air it up. I saw to grind off the bead on the rim and cover it in something but I can't remember what and I can't find where I read that info.
Yes, I will steer clear of any puddles!!! Unless a "have to" case--will stay home after a heavy rain!! On a self check of codes--I got a cruise--P0700. I don"t kinow what the cruise meant but I found that 0700 is the tranny computer. Could that be from him pulling the plug to dry it? Thank you so much for this site. Kathy

Kathy,

A new multi-function switch is about $75 but if you buy one make sure you get it with or without the fog light control if you have fog lights. It's not hard to put a new one in if you don't mind pulling things apart (steering column and wiring clips). It's definitely not rocket science.

Yes, the p0700 code could have been caused by the water or messing around by the mechanic. If you pull the negative battery cable off for 5 minutes it will clear all the stored codes. Then if the code comes back, you have a real problem.

If you pull the air filter apart by yourself and disconnect the battery cable, then I'd say you can definitely put a new multi-function switch in your self.

On the wheels, yes, sanding the rim and putting a sealer around the bead of the tire should stop the leak. Make sure that's your real problem. A lot of tires leak from the valve stem. A tire dealer should be able to help pinpoint the exact problem for just a couple dollars. They still use a half bucket with water in it to dip the tire to find the leak. Most decent places with do it for nothing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Apr 2009, 12:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you. Will see if my son can disconnect the battery and then will know if he stands a chance at the switch!!! Thanks again for all the info. I am SURE, I will be back!!! Kathy
Old 05 Apr 2009, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome Faith, where in OK are you located? Your info wasn't filled out and we have a good man SOONERCRUISER located in OKC who might give you a hand. Let us know how it goes.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Apr 2009, 11:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

well the rim could be bent as well because i had to replace my rims finally after 7yrs of driving cuz they were bent to the point where they would hold air for 4 days an leak the rest out so take it to a mechanic an ask them to test the tires to see if the rims are bent an need to be replaced cuz most places will not fix them for liability reasons.
Old 06 Apr 2009, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I replaced the multifunction switch on my Daughter's PT.

The housing around the steering column has 2 phillips screws you get at from the bottom, then it snaps apart.
The switch itself is held in with Torqx screws .

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Apr 2009, 10:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: HELP--NEW OWNER AND LOVE IT!!!

Welcome Fullyfaith!
Sorry, but a 2001 with that kind of mileage is going to need a lot of TLC.
Odds are, even if the service was kept up, a lot of "little" things like light bulbs weren't.
I'm in OKCity, but haven't had to do anything like a multi-function switch. I got a new one with my aftermarket OEM fog lights - put on by my dealer, just to avoid any warranty problems. I drive to Kingfisher, Johnson's of Kingfisher, because they have treated me so well over the years. Was just there this morning for oil change, and checking front wheel bearings.
I don't trust anyone in town, except a few of the body shops.
-You may want to post on the "WayfaringCruisers" web site (Oldschool Designs site) for any advice around the state on good service dealers.
-PM me for any other advice.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 15 Apr 2009, 10:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

THANK YOU to everyone for the warm welcome and the help! My son did disconnect the battery and the code has not came back--Thank God. The blinkers started working just fine so am leaving well enough alone!! But, I am keeping the instructions on how to get the column off.
I am in Norman. I did have the mechanic check the tires. The rim has about 5 holes in it from the flaking and corrision of that blasted rim. Right now, I have one cavilier rim on the back--looks funny but works. He, the mechanic, loaned me the rim until I can afford to get one. Evidently, these PT rims are worth gold, IF you can find a good one. A salvage yard in OKC has one and he will "let" me have it for 235---am on SS and you know how the gov doesn't think us common folk need to eat much less need a car!! So, am looking for a set of ANYTHING, cheap, that will fit it. A place called Wheel Connections "says" they can fix the rim by machining off all the chrome on the rim and fix the holes---but I don't know how they aim to fix the holes. If this is possible,please let me know. They will do it for 50 a rim. Right now, its just that one rim. I am afraid it will just start doing it again. They said No--because all that chrome will be gone. I just don't know.
Have another question--(oh no, here she goes again)----my car was beat up by hail. It would cost more to fix and repaint than the car is worth. What ideas would be to cover up or disquise the dents? Its all over the car--worse on hood and roof. We have came up with a ladybug. My car is red. My son is having a fit--no ladybug...Any ideas???? Thanks,Kathy