PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 PT over heated, possible blown gasket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2009, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 PT over heated, possible blown gasket?

I have a 01 PT thats thermostat needs to be replaced. In the mean time, I added water to the radiator and did not place the cap back on properly. I was driving down the freeway and noticed my temperature gauge dropped from the middle to cold. Then my RPM's started losing power. I tried to accelerate and my car was not accelerating. I pulled to the side of the road and killed the engine to look under the hood. Water was all gone from the radiator and car would not turn over. Put water in the radiator and let it cool down and car now sounds like it doesnt have enough pressure to turn the car over. Is this a blown head gasket? I thought pt's had the kill switch to not blow your engine. Any suggestions would really help, gotta get the in laws to the airport today!
Old 05 Apr 2009, 01:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 PT over heated, possible blown gasket?

Sorry, it doesn't sound like your gonna make it to the in-laws. There's no secret switch that will stop the engine from blowing up. It's a non-inference engine if the timing belt happens to break but even that isn't a guarantee.

If you started loosing power, it's possible the head gasket blew or you warped the head. Either way, anti-freeze goes into the engine and it won't run until major work is completed.

When you turn the key the engine turns by means of the stater but no spark is occurring because of the water in the cylinders.

That's all a guess on my part so you'll have to get it professionally diagnosed by a mechanic.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Apr 2009 at 01:13 pm.
Old 05 Apr 2009, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I didnt think this fell under a performance question. There is no water in the oil at all or vice versa. Is it possible that the thermostat blew?
Old 05 Apr 2009, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldyloks View Post
I didnt think this fell under a performance question. There is no water in the oil at all or vice versa. Is it possible that the thermostat blew?
The thing is, why would a thermostat blowing stop the engine from turning over? Either you loose all your anti-freeze and just fill it back up, or you loose all the anti-freeze, car overheats and bad thing happen.

It's not a question of performance except to answer your question of you hearing that there is something that will stop the engine from blowing up.

As I said earlier, It's a guess on my part as you might have overlooked telling us something that went wrong that would stop the engine from running like the whole top of the engine was soaked with anti-freeze when you lost all your water.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Apr 2009, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

when a head gasket goes, coolant can go into the combustion chambers (cylinders) into the oil, or outside the engine.
It may/may not be the head gasket.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles