Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another front window issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2009, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another front window issue

Sorry if this issue has been discussed before, but a search didn't turn anything up. Here's my issue:

Last year, the front, driver window sometimes would not go down, or if it started to, it wouldn't always fully go down. If it wouldn't go down, I'd usually be able to hear a faint "click" from the window/door (not the switch/dash). Even if it only went part way down, it never had an issue going back up, thank god! As time went on, it happened more frequently and the passenger window now is the same. If one won't work, neither will. However, the back windows have no issues using either the front or rear controls. It's very rare that the front windows will now work and I don't hear the "click" anymore when they won't work. When they are up and I push the switch up, I can still hear the "click" like it's trying to work.

I pulled the switch out of the dash and used some dry air to try and clean off the connectors. I haven't had any luck. Do the experts think it's just the switch in the dash or something more complicated?

If it's any help, the heated driver's seat sometimes won't work. If I push the button on the seat, the orange light will blink a few times and turn off without the seat actually heating up. The passenger's heated seat always works, and there isn't a correlation between the windows/heated seat working or failing.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07 Apr 2009, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Another front window issue

Welcome.
I'm not an expert, but I think it's the motors themselves. The rears get used way less than the fronts, and usually driver's side the most.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Apr 2009, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know if the front/back windows use the same motors? That way I could move one from the back to the front as a test, before I go buy 2 new motors and that not be the issue.
Old 07 Apr 2009, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dunno, but found this on another forum from people with your problem -
"Check your fuse, the fuse for the windows is actually special in that it will trip when the windows are up/down and you try making it close/open more. Its the top left one on the panel under the dash".
The fuse is actually a circuit breaker, when it hits a stop, breaker opens.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 07 Apr 2009, 01:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And check this out:
Window Regulators

Old 25 May 2009, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

I forgot to give closure to this issue, in case anyone else stumbles upon it in the future.

I bought the PT Repair Manual on eBay (CD/PDF from Chrysler) for about $5 because I didn't want to rip the door panels off & have it be the switch. So I got the manual for the wiring diagram for the pins on the back of the front window switches. Using the multimeter and the manual, it turned out that the front/down switches were bad. After taking the plastic trim off of the front of the switches, the keen eye could tell there was some corrosion around the front/down connections!

Luckily my uncle works at a new car garage, so he ordered a new part for me (about $50) and shipped it! I didn't really want to buy a used switch because it might be in the same condition as mine!
Old 25 May 2009, 11:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Two years ago I had to replace the window control switch that is in the center of the dash. Cost about $100 from the dealer. No way to clean it up and the new one works fine.