PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My car has a mind of its own!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2009, 12:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default My car has a mind of its own!

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum - my name's Jamie and I'm from Canberra, Australia.

Hopefully someone out there can help me with this weird car of mine.

Last week I brought a 2003 PT Classic from a local dealership. The second time I drove it, the airbag light turned on and chimed then turned off a few seconds later - it now turns on all the time and is driving me crazy!

To make matters worse, the car has now started locking/unlocking itself whilst driving! It's the weirdest thing - airbag chiming, doors locking/unlocking.....

I took it back to the dealership who took the car to a mechanic. The mechanic conducted a scan and reported that it was simply an error code involving the side airbag. The code was cleared and the car seemed fine....for 10 minutes until the airbag light came back on!

Is this a common issue with the PT Cruisers? Any suggestions on what could be done to fix this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie
Old 07 Apr 2009, 12:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: My car has a mind of its own!

i have the same Air Bag problem, comes on when it wants to an goes off when it wants to. but i dont plan on getting it fixed cuz it will cost more fix than it will than to just keep pissin me off lol. but as for the locks, i wouldnt worry too much about it. but hey thats just me talking.
Old 07 Apr 2009, 01:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

No way - it's impossible to ignore! It happens constantly and I'm worried that it will unlock/lock whilst parked.
Old 07 Apr 2009, 09:51 am
Cool Cruiser

well the doors lock once u get up to 15 mph an mine unlock when its in park but other than that i have no problems but idk about locking/un-locking while driving except for locking at 15mph so i really dont know. As for the Airbag light, get the sensor repaired is all i can say. because i do know if you put some amount of weight on one side of your seat then the light comes on, but do this. when you get into your cruiser turn the key to the point where the car turns on. do not start the car, just turn the key clockwise until the radio an all that comes on. turn on, then off, then on, then off an then on an keep it on. look where your mileage is shown an see if it displays a trouble code. (Example.. P2077) and if one shows up come back here and let us know if anything shows up. again the sequence is... on/off/on/off/on...

Last edited by Vengence; 07 Apr 2009 at 09:56 am.
Old 07 Apr 2009, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
The airbag light can have several causes, but the locking/unlocking is almost certainly the RKEM (Remote Keyless Entry Module) - it's above/behind the radio. It needs replacing.
Do a search on RKEM here and read about it.
Tell dealer you want the RKEM replaced.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Apr 2009, 08:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Take it back to the dealer and see if they'll fix it under any warranty. Some do offer 30-days or such, should be in your purchase papers. Otherwise: start by disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 5-minutes - that will re-set the computer. If that doesn't do it, then you may have a CPU or a loose connection to the air-bag sensor. Hopefully, not a bad airbag-$$$.