Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 won't start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2009, 10:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 won't start

2004 touring 50,000 miles. While driving engine light came on and car started to stall. Managed to get it parked and shut off engine. When I tried to start it sputtered then died now the vehicle won't start even though lights, enunciator warnings, etc. would work with key in ignition switch. When the key was turned to the start position the starter would not engage; no relay chatter, clicking, or any sounds of any kind, dead quite. Found fuse #13 ASD (20amp) keeps blowing. Diagnostic tool reads no link, but I did get these codes from odometer
276793, FL0007, EE15, BL01. Any Suggestions?
Old 08 Apr 2009, 05:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 won't start

Welcome.
First, those aren't trouble codes. Do the "key trick" and get trouble codes
Engine Light ON

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Apr 2009, 05:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net......

I have a 2001 LE PT with 70k miles. The vehicle will not start when ignition key is turned to start position. Instrument panel lights function and battery is o.k. I tried moving transmission shift selector back and forth from park to neutral but starter will not engage. Vehicle was towed to garage for further troubleshooting. Technician noted that the fuse in the ASD was blown; when a new fuse was installed it blew immediately which seems to indicate a short somewhere within the system. He contacted the local Chrysler dealership but they were not very helpful or interested in providing any trouble shooting assistance. Any suggestions on resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Bill, from North Carolina.

The ASD sense circuit informs the PCM when the ASD relay energizes. A 12v signal at this input indicates to the PCM that the ASD has been activated. When energized, the ASD relay provides power to operate the injectors, ignition coil, generator field, O2 sensor heaters (both upstream and downstream), EGR solenoid and also provides a sense circuit to the PCM for diagnostic purposes. If the PCM does not receive 12 volts from this input after grounding the ASD relay, it sets a DTC.

If the fuse for the ASD circuit continues to blow the circuit will have to be troubleshooted to isolate the cause. If you have experience in this area, as a pit pass subscriber, we can provide you with the wiring schematics. Otherwise, we would suggest having your local dealer handle the diagnosis. If you want to conduct some basic DIY you can check for the obvious by visually inspecting the starter relay for indications of physical damage and loose or corroded wire harness connections.

Follow up from owner Thank you for the wiring schematics. I decided to take the PT to a repair shop where my friend and fellow PT'er used to be the service manager. He was confident they could find the problem and they did. The issue and an oil change came to just over $500 of which 80% was labor for troubleshooting. The vehicle would not start even though lights, enunciator warnings, etc. would work with key in ignition switch. When the key was turned to the start position the starter would not engage; no relay chatter, clicking, or any sounds of any kind, dead quite. Found fuse #13 (20amp) in the PDC blown. They traced it to circuit A14 which was shorted to ground. No Input to ASD circuit; E4 traced to circuit 16 at ALDL. Checked and repaired short and replaced ALDL connector. Retested all systems and reinstalled steering column cover. Hopefully this information may help another owner if they encounter this starting problem!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Apr 2009, 02:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

did do the key thing these codes are all I got. Diagnostic tool keeps reading NO LINK
Old 03 Jul 2012, 05:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
From PT Do-It-Yourself.net......

I have a 2001 LE PT with 70k miles. The vehicle will not start when ignition key is turned to start position. Instrument panel lights function and battery is o.k. I tried moving transmission shift selector back and forth from park to neutral but starter will not engage. Vehicle was towed to garage for further troubleshooting. Technician noted that the fuse in the ASD was blown; when a new fuse was installed it blew immediately which seems to indicate a short somewhere within the system. He contacted the local Chrysler dealership but they were not very helpful or interested in providing any trouble shooting assistance. Any suggestions on resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Bill, from North Carolina.

The ASD sense circuit informs the PCM when the ASD relay energizes. A 12v signal at this input indicates to the PCM that the ASD has been activated. When energized, the ASD relay provides power to operate the injectors, ignition coil, generator field, O2 sensor heaters (both upstream and downstream), EGR solenoid and also provides a sense circuit to the PCM for diagnostic purposes. If the PCM does not receive 12 volts from this input after grounding the ASD relay, it sets a DTC.

If the fuse for the ASD circuit continues to blow the circuit will have to be troubleshooted to isolate the cause. If you have experience in this area, as a pit pass subscriber, we can provide you with the wiring schematics. Otherwise, we would suggest having your local dealer handle the diagnosis. If you want to conduct some basic DIY you can check for the obvious by visually inspecting the starter relay for indications of physical damage and loose or corroded wire harness connections.

Follow up from owner Thank you for the wiring schematics. I decided to take the PT to a repair shop where my friend and fellow PT'er used to be the service manager. He was confident they could find the problem and they did. The issue and an oil change came to just over $500 of which 80% was labor for troubleshooting. The vehicle would not start even though lights, enunciator warnings, etc. would work with key in ignition switch. When the key was turned to the start position the starter would not engage; no relay chatter, clicking, or any sounds of any kind, dead quite. Found fuse #13 (20amp) in the PDC blown. They traced it to circuit A14 which was shorted to ground. No Input to ASD circuit; E4 traced to circuit 16 at ALDL. Checked and repaired short and replaced ALDL connector. Retested all systems and reinstalled steering column cover. Hopefully this information may help another owner if they encounter this starting problem!
that is whats wrong with my car rt now and have been on it for days the exact same thing what is circuit a14? and e4 traced to circuit 16 at adl in your rely? thanks hillbilly 678
Old 03 Jul 2012, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly678 View Post
that is whats wrong with my car rt now and have been on it for days the exact same thing what is circuit a14? and e4 traced to circuit 16 at adl in your rely? thanks hillbilly 678
reply was last word not rely sorry