PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Performance Modifications?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2009, 05:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Performance Modifications?

Lets hear them.

From engine, turbos, superchargers, exhausts, Transmission (standard), ECU everything. I graduate college in 1 month for meteorology and want performance modifications for when i go storm chasing with my baby Storm. I need all mods cuz i need the Cruiser to be ready.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 05:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Performance Modifications?

Sorry there Vengence. Unless your about to plunk down loads of cash for a complete Turbo system or Supercharger, anything anybody tells you about is hardly going to turn your cruiser into a "Storm Chaser". It might run a little better, sound like it's running a bit faster and look better ......but it's still gonna be the same "Cruiser", like it was meant to be.

As been told many times before, if you wanted the PT to run and can't afford a new GT, pick up a used Turbo Lite and start from there. A few hundred dollars and it'll keep up with the best of them.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 06:05 am
Cool Cruiser

well tell me what modifications because i got 55k to put down into the PT Cruiser.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 07:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Wrong vehicle for such... Having chased (and in some cases been chased!), you need a tough, strong, high ground clearance vehicle with some room inside. I'd suggest keeping the Cruiser at home in the garage - find a late model Suburban or such and add some items that you'll need; wench, extra lights, second battery, radio's, laptop mount, cam-corder and more. One good hail-storm will ruin the Cruiser, beat it to a pulp - you can't lean on it without denting.

Chasing is not safe for beginners, get with someone that has, before going out on your own. Find and watch Storm-Chasers (Discovery Channel and the Weather Channel), they show you the exciting moments (but nothing like being there); not the hours on end of the boring...

I spotted 7 Tornado's in one day, during an outbreak of over 60 in two day's - one funnel cloud passed overhead before dissipating. I still enjoy watching weather, even though I understand it - I still find it fascinating. As a pilot, weather is an important part of my daily activity.

Be very careful out there.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 07:23 am
Cool Cruiser

for one, i know what im doing with tornado chasing as my friend does it, i've gone with him a few times an im no amateur. and 2 the cruiser is going to be 1 of 3 back ups.I've got a 08 Suburban Ready with mods, lights, roll cage, GPS, laptop mount, HID Headlights, 2nd battery and some extra Weight to it. top speed is 110 with all the weight but it still accelerates fast and that. Same thing with my Jeep Commander 5.7 Liter V-8 Hemi. the cruiser is just going to be around for when both of those vehicles are beat up an in the shop. while using the cruiser i wont be chasing but just in case we are chased i need the cruiser to be fast and have all the equipment on there as well.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 07:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
well tell me what modifications because i got 55k to put down into the PT Cruiser.
Well, if you have that kind of cash, the world's your oyster, as the saying goes. The block on the N/A cruiser wasn't built for a lot of abuse. Chrysler beefed it up when the turbo hit the streets but unfortunately they all have the same transaxle which is the first thing to go when you start turning decent 1/4 mile times.

My advise, pick up a used Turbo Lite or GT engine along with the computer and start from there. The race fanatics at PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it. are seriously into speed with some pushing their way to 300hp so you can pick up some good information there.

We have a couple owners of the SRT4 and PTGT here and maybe they will come along and add their 2 cents.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 08:18 am
Cool Cruiser

Smile Re: Performance Modifications?

actually i just got off the phone with my mechanic an he found a person 20 miles away from me who modded his cruiser the way i want it. he said that you have to get a GT engine an work from there like u said so that's number 1. but he told me to get the PT in the shop ASAP cuz they parts are overnight delivery. so if everything goes well, it should be done by May 2nd and then May 16th ill be off to the plains to start my career.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 11:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
I've got a 08 Suburban Ready with mods, lights,...
What do you mean by lights, warning or aux driving or ???
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 10 Apr 2009, 03:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Performance Modifications?

Don't cut yourself short if you have the cash!!!!!!
Trade the na in for a TURBO!
(I have both - the turbo is a real automobile! The na is just "cute", even with mods!)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 10 Apr 2009, 03:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

by lights i mean the heavy duty lights u see on the jeep wranglers on the top of the car and on the front on the grill. all of my lights on the Cruiser are HID 6000k's now instead of 8000k's because they are brighter. but everything is taken care of, my cars in the shop an most of the parts are gonna be at the shop tomorrow.