Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Newbie here, Looking for advice on buying a PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2009, 01:04 am
Young Cruiser

Thumbs up Newbie here, Looking for advice on buying a PT Cruiser

Hi everyone, my name is Bill and I've joined up to this forum in hopes that I can be steered in the right direction in terms of getting assistance in buying the perfect PT Cruiser for myself from hearing feedback and opinions from members here on your board!

All my life I've dealt with Shelby Dodge stuff of the 80s and currently have a n/A 1994 Dodge Shadow as my daily driver. The last month or so I began searching fora new daily drver by exploring the possibility of purchasing a new Caliber SRT-4 but found the prices to be a bit out of range for now. That brought me to the PT Cruisers, a car I've always had a liking for, but one I don't know too much about.

My preferences for one are that it must be black, must be a 5 spd., and must have a sunroof. I would absolutely love to find a 5 spd. PT Turbo in this color scheme but from what I've found on the internet those turbo models are hard to come by in a 5 spd.? Also, PT Turbos I guess came with nothing else but black leather interior? There was no gray offered?

My uncle attends area auctions and I have put him on the lookout for anything of this combination to go through and be under the $7000 range so I am hoping that in the next month or so he will find something for me. Currently, I located an 01 Limited version with the gray leather/suede interior. 45000 miles, for $6995. Blue booked, it says the same car is worth $7715 in excellent condition which this one is. Only drawback with this one is that it has the gray bumpers which have big tape marks on them. Is this how the PT's came that do not have color matched bumpers, or does that show a sign this car was repainted/repaired?

Being unaware of the typical going rate of these vehicles, I was hoping to get some feedback on whether I should pounce on that one or hold out for one that may be cheaper? Looking on autotrader it seems prices are fluctuated a good bit there, as I'm hoping to take as small of a loan as possible to purchase one of these. After sitting in one for a test drive, they're a blast to drive and I can't believe I didn't venture to this route sooner vehicle wise!

Again, I welcome any and all suggestions to help me better understand what I'm looking at market wise (which model/year is the best), and in addition I would also appreciate some links to reputable parts companies that make some neat custom parts for these cars to make the one I end up with a little bit more unique!
Old 11 Apr 2009, 02:02 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Newbie here, Looking for advice on buying a PT Cruiser

HI,Bill sounds a little high for an 01 at least on the west coast but that is very low miles so would probably be hard to find something with such low miles.$ 5500.00 would be good in this economy or maybe $6000.00 .the grey bumpers were a factory defect that is why chrysler switched to painting the whole thing body color in 03 I think it was . My name is Ray Newton and I have been customizeing PT cruisers since 2000 .If you ask around or visit my web sight PTEAZER.COM you will see some of the nicest cruisers in the world. And if you see anything you like you can call me direct 714-448-8630. or email Ray@pteazer.com and I will give you a really good deal on anything you see there. Dont freak out at the prices I will help you get the front and rear bumpers to look awsome for around $1000.oo .Im on a mission to get some new people into this cruiser scene.regards Ray.

Last edited by Pteazer; 11 Apr 2009 at 02:06 am.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 07:17 am
Young Cruiser

I have an 01 PT Limited with sun roof, 5 speed, disc brakes etc. with 92500 km (57800 mile). 08' buybacks from lease companies are 8 - 10,000.

Was offered Cdn$2000 on a trade. Seems I could get about $3500 if I sold it private.

Perhaps you should explore importing one from up here.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 07:23 am
Young Cruiser

They are around, 06 PT for about 6K with 18K miles just keep looking, I found this buy accident or i would be driving a big
Old 11 Apr 2009, 08:57 am
Young Cruiser

You are familiar with Chryslers, but I thought I should mention that you check the gaskets & seals on an older PT. Some of the earlier ones have a head gasket problem. Also check ties rods, trailing arms, parking brake self adjusters and control arm bushings. Lemon Aid has a few other common weaknesses listed.

About the grey bumpers. The tape marks are from the factory. In Canada, they first painted the bumpers on the Turbos to differentiate them from non turbo.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know if you know the history - turbos arrived in '03, and all have body-color bumpers.
$7K for an '01 is high - you can do better if you shop around.
Over a year ago, I found a mint '03 GT - leather, sunroof, 9,000 miles, for $9,500 - my son-in-law now drives it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Jun 2009, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

I picked up my daughters 2005 red base model with 64000 miles for $5700 plus tax and title from a consignment dealer here in Charlotte.