Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 stallin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2009, 10:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 stallin

Just bought a 2001 PT Cruiser LE with 46000 miles, it has begun to stall after a nice 15-20 minute drive when approaching idle speed. Ive read alot of forums about this but the forums are a few years old. Has the dealer found a fix to this problem? The car is currently at the Chrysler dealer.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01 stallin

If you just bought it, they should fix it. There's quite a few things that can cause a car to stall at idle. Since you can't say how the previous owner treated the car or when the last tune-up was or actually anything about the previous maintenance schedule, we can only take guesses at what may be wrong. The list would include, the IAC (Idle Air Controller), TB (Throttle Body), injectors, plugs and wires, fuel filter etc. Hopefully the dealer will find your problem and it won't cost you anything.

To answer your question; "has the dealer found a fix to this problem?". It's not a widespread problem thruout all PT's. It usually pops up when preventative maintenance has been ignored or the cheap parts that came from the factory wear out sooner than they should and the owners of Chrysler (or whatever they are called now) aren't about to do anything about it since this is the last year of the PT's being manufactured.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Apr 2009 at 10:29 am.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 11:53 am
Young Cruiser

My 2000 stalled and it was plug wires, no further problem -- Andy
Old 17 Apr 2009, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just hung up the phone with my local Chrysler dealer and they said i will need a new PCM to solve my stalling problem. The question is i have no idea what a PCM is or does, neither could the nice lady who called. Can someone inform me?
Old 17 Apr 2009, 03:16 pm
Young Cruiser

If PCM is the problem there should be a code of. Some kind -- Andy
Old 17 Apr 2009, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chuckie,

The PCM is the Powertrain Control Module or the Computer. Did they say anything about whose paying for it?

As PT4cec just mentioned, there should have been some sort of code stored in the computer. Was the engine light on when you took it in to the dealer?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

They made no mention that there was a code and the check engine light was not on. They said the part is covered under a Chrysler warrenty
I will get all the details next week and post them. They do not have the part in stock and they said i should have my car by Tuesday.

Last edited by chuckie4prez; 17 Apr 2009 at 03:49 pm.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 04:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Happy ending. I like that.

Old 17 Apr 2009, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie4prez View Post
They made no mention that there was a code and the check engine light was not on. They said the part is covered under a Chrysler warrenty
I will get all the details next week and post them. They do not have the part in stock and they said i should have my car by Tuesday.
Find out IF this "No car days" are deducted from your 30 day (Normally) warranty or if it will count against it. The dealer should restart the 30 day warranty.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 Apr 2009, 06:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Update; i recieved my car back from the dealer Tuesday evening. First they replaced the pressure switch on the power steering rack which did not correct the stalling. This was done at the dealership were i purchased the car. They then sent it to the Chrysler dealership were they tested it and CODE P0601 internal failure with the PCM was found. They replaced the PCM and so far no further problems to date with the stalling.
One other issue has come to my attention, last night when i was filling up the tank for the first time the pump shut off like it should when the tank fills up, but when i got back in the car the gauge was showing between 3/4 and full. Has anyone had this issue? if so what should i be looking for?