Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
One Thing Leads To Another With A Popping Noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2009, 09:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default One Thing Leads To Another With A Popping Noise

Well here is how it started, some time back I had a very very loud popping noise (that you could even feel in your feet when they were on the peddles) was coming from the front right wheel well area. It only made the noise when I was backing up and turning the wheel hard to the right. It didnít do it all the time and when I would take it somewhere, of course it wouldnít make a sound most of the time. The mechanics that did here it said it might be an axel but it wasnít acting like an axel at all, some said it was a strut mount. Most didnít have a clue, not even the Chrysler dealer who wanted to tare it down anyway. I could just picture the bill they would have given me. As time went on I kept looking at all the front-end parts and did see that a ball joint boot had started splitting. It still had plenty of grease but it needed to be addressed. After getting sticker shock just on the labor cost I decided to do the job myself and replace both ball joints. The control arms had to come off and after removing them I could see the rear isolator bushing was going too, so I bought two of them too. As I looked more at the outer tie rod ends I decided it wouldnít hurt to replace them as well. So I purchased them also and if I am going to replace that much why not replace both axels while I am at it. Heck that might even stop my popping noise. Its not over, today I was looking at my steering knuckles and the left one had a very small amount of play in the hub. I had the bearings replaced a few months ago so I took the knuckle back to the garage where the bearings were replaced and he put in a new bearing. That didnít solve the problem so I went to the Chrysler and purchased a new hub then went back to the garage and he managed to remove the old hub and put in the new hub without messing up the new bearing that he put in earlier in the day. Now all I have to do is put all the new parts in and reassemble my front end. Sounds like a fun Saturday doesnít it?

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 05:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: One Thing Leads To Another With A Popping Noise

After all those parts, sure hope you get rid of the popping noise. Good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 08:28 am
Regular Cruiser

The first thing I want to do Crewzin is thank you for the link you gave me some time back, I didnít find any real answers in the link as to what the cause could be but that in itself told my why no one I have taken my car (My Baby) to had any answers either. The way I look at it is if these parts donít fix it then it doesnít much left that it could be. Plus I have purchased the best parts I could find and afford as I plan on my baby being the last car I ever own. I feel about this PT the way I felt about my 1959 Chevy that I have regretted selling it for the past 36 years.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 09:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I feel that way about my ole 283 57 Chevy Hardtop. Bored 60 over, solid lifters, AFB 4 barrel, dual glasspacks with 3 speed on the floor (custom done) and painted by no less that Earl Shieb (Any car, any color in one day for $29.95).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 06:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well I still havenít finished and have stopped for now. I am just about finished but one of the tie rod ends had a pinhole in the boot and parts house didnít have another one in town, so they ordered one from Memphis and it will be here on Monday. I canít wait to finish and have a 4-wheel alignment and start Cruising again.
Yea Crewzin my 59 Chevy was a Belair 4 door, black with a gray and silver interior it had a 6 cylinder with three on the tree and was in mint condition with 63000 showing on the odometer but was probably 163000. I called her White Lightning because she was anything but fast and she sure wasnít white.

Old 19 Apr 2009, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decsr View Post
Well I still havenít finished and have stopped for now. I am just about finished but one of the tie rod ends had a pinhole in the boot and parts house didnít have another one in town, so they ordered one from Memphis and it will be here on Monday. I canít wait to finish and have a 4-wheel alignment and start Cruising again.
Yea Crewzin my 59 Chevy was a Belair 4 door, black with a gray and silver interior it had a 6 cylinder with three on the tree and was in mint condition with 63000 showing on the odometer but was probably 163000. I called her White Lightning because she was anything but fast and she sure wasnít white.

I didn't realize "White Lightning" in Tennessee meant a Car!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 Apr 2009, 04:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My wife's had the popping in the front end and it was the sway bar links, put 2 new ones on and no more popping!
Old 19 Apr 2009, 04:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Why Hooligan I am surprised you didnít known that you can not only drink white lightning in Tennessee but you can drive it too, we have the all purpose kind of white lightning here.
Thanks for the information Spinner and I wish that was all it was. That was the first thing I checked and they were fine. I did go ahead and change them yesterday just because I was doing everything else to the front end.

Old 19 Apr 2009, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decsr View Post
Why Hooligan I am surprised you didnít known that you can not only drink white lightning in Tennessee but you can drive it too, we have the all purpose kind of white lightning here.
Was stationed in Old Hickory many years ago, down just above the dam, when the Coast Guard had a presence there. Yes, I know about the drinkin' kind!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Apr 2009, 05:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

No more popping noise and I sure hope itís gone for good this time. Wow my pt handles exceptionally well after the new parts, something I didnít expect but sure am going to enjoy.

Hooligan I donít live far from your old stomping ground. I live about ľ mile from Lock Two, which has been turned into a park and boat ramp now, plus I am just out of rock throwing distance from Opryland Hotel and the Grand Old Opry, the old Opryland Theme Park is now a shopping mall.