PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pre buy mechanical checkup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2009, 01:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default pre buy mechanical checkup

Hi all.

I am new to this car so need suggestions.

I am purchasing a 2002 PT Cruiser with 36000 Km on it. It seems to be in pretty much mint condition, but I want to have it checked out before I commit. Is there anything I should ask the mechanic to be especially watching for?

And can I use my almost new snow tires (P215/70R15) on it next winter?The rims are universal I think so perhaps I can use them as well (off a Windstar)

Any help would be appreciated. This vehicle is a complete unknown to me, but friends have recommended it and they adore theirs.

Thanks,
Susan
Old 21 Apr 2009, 05:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pre buy mechanical checkup

Have him check the suspension, look at all the joints, wheel bearings, etc.
Is it an automatic? If so, you should plan on having the fluid flushed (ahould be every 50,000 miles, but here we're talking years).
The rest he should know by listening to the engine and a test drive.

There are no universal rims - the tires may fit (the PT can come with 15, 16 or 17" rims and tires) but the rims won't.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Apr 2009, 08:05 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanadu View Post
Hi all.

And can I use my almost new snow tires (P215/70R15) on it next winter?The rims are universal I think so perhaps I can use them as well (off a Windstar)

Thanks,
Susan
You need a wheel with 5x100 bolt pattern. The Winstar uses a 5 x 108 pattern, so will not fit.

The OEM tire size for the PT is 195/65/15 with an outside diameter of 23.5 inches. The 215/70/15 has an outside diameter of 26.6 inches. That's a big difference. If they do fit they will really throw off your speedometer.
Old 23 Apr 2009, 01:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Have him check the suspension, look at all the joints, wheel bearings, etc.
Is it an automatic? If so, you should plan on having the fluid flushed (should be every 50,000 miles, but here we're talking years).
The rest he should know by listening to the engine and a test drive.

There are no universal rims - the tires may fit (the PT can come with 15, 16 or 17" rims and tires) but the rims won't.
On the our automatic '01 PT we did the 50k tranny service and lost the auto tranny at 81k. I wouldn't go that route.
With our '04, after a long talk with the dealer service manager, he told us, off the record, that the auto tranny should be serviced every 30k alternating between a full flush and a drain and fill. He understood about the weak auto tranny, but wouldn't admit it on the record only stating the increased servicing was going to help. The '04 now has 118k miles and no tranny problems. If you purchase the car I would get a tranny flush now. As Don said, I would get the suspension checked out, especially the lower control arm bushings.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 23 Apr 2009, 01:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The lower control arm bushings are being replaced. There was some play in them so the dealer is going to replace them. Everything else checked out ok. There are now about 36K Km on the car (or about 22K miles if my math is correct). Would you suggest a tranny flush now or wait for 30K miles?

Thanks to all for the help

Susan
Old 23 Apr 2009, 02:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanadu View Post
The lower control arm bushings are being replaced. There was some play in them so the dealer is going to replace them. Everything else checked out ok. There are now about 36K Km on the car (or about 22K miles if my math is correct). Would you suggest a tranny flush now or wait for 30K miles?

Thanks to all for the help

Susan
Because of the car's age I'd do it now and not wait.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 23 Apr 2009, 03:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Because of the car's age I'd do it now and not wait.
Especially IF the dealer is willing to pay at least some of the cost!! If not, I agree it should be completed.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar