Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with my impending new purchase.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2009, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with my impending new purchase.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum.

I've been a fan of the PT Cruiser since it first came out, but now finally find myself at a point in life where owning one is about to become a reality (Oldest is graduating college, other child will be graduating next year - I hope).

I've done lots of research, looked over many informative threads on this site, and feel pretty confident about my impending purchase. I was looking for a 2003 - 2005 with a 5-speed, in the Limited trim, if possible. Not many to be found but LOTS of 2006-2008 'program' cars with 15-20k mi. Was debating between a 2006 Touring (auto, 38k, one owner, mint, Electric Blue), a 2005 Touring (auto, 49K, Electric Blue), and a 2003 Base (auto, 33k, one owner, mint, Electric Blue). Yesterday, I called a guy advertising a '2004 PT Cruiser - Silver, 5-speed' and discovered it was also a Limited with a Turbo! 45k and loaded. Am looking at it this weekend.

I know about front-end issues (thanks to this forum), but what else should I be looking out for? Especially with the Turbo - I know nothing (I'm a college instructor, not a mechanic). Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 11:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Help with my impending new purchase.

I too had been a head-turner for the Cruiser for a while. I had a '99 Blazer with some impending problems, found a '05 PT Limited Turbo in the color I wanted on a local lot and traded. I wasn't looking for the Turbo; but glad it has it - nice difference. The 2005 year model is the last year that I'd even consider due to some interior cosmetic bad changes (for me anyway) that were made. So far, the only disappointment I have with the car is the mpg (and I don't drive it that aggressively - I have a Miata for that).
Old 24 Apr 2009, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

The one your looking at is probably a Turbo Lite but ask about it when you go to see it. The "Lite" has the same engine as the 220 hp GT plus the large injectors since it's a 2004. The computer has bee de-tuned so you can use regular fuel but you'll still have 30hp more than the non-turbo.

Unless it's been abused, the turbo itself should last the lifetime of the car. It costs a little more but we recommend anyone with a turbo to run synthetic oil as the turbo runs hotter than the non-turbo and the synthetic oil can take the chnages in temperature better than dyno oil.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 12:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi all,
new to this fabulous forum.....i have a 2002 woody edition....i am absolutely in love with this car.....Thanks to this forum i see what problems may lay ahead but not a turn off at all. I already have squeaky brakes. for original post...all the best on your purchase.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 12:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
but what else should I be looking out for? Especially with the Turbo
Abuse. Even though the turbo is intended to last the life of the car - it makes the motor run hotter than a base model would run. Thus if someone ragged it out by flooring it all the time it could conceivably last less than one that didn't have that happen.

A bit of soot on the tailpipe is normal.

Check the dipstick for oil quality. It should be translucent, not jet black.

Check the tranny fluid for smell. It should not smell strongly of wax, or of a candle that has just been blown out.

Check the underside of the motor area, esp the tranny pan and oil pan and the front of the undercarriage for scrapes, dings, chunks, etc.

The motor should not easily rock forward or back (motor mount damage).

Look for grooves in the brake rotors (evidence of poor maintenance). And most of all (and this is a darn dirty trick) - look for dirty handprints on the tailgate lift and the door handles. WOuld mean someone who works with tools and grease is in and out of the car a lot. As if it were in the shop a lot.

Also look for evidence of collision repair - body panels that don't line up exactly, or gaps that look just a little bit too big. A recent paint job could be a sign of such work too.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 12:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, any bumps or ruff spots on the top could be a sign of a slightly abused ride from the previous owner.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Apr 2009 at 02:41 pm.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 02:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yes I guess that would be a sign of a slightly rough ride Crewzin.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 02:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

If you are concerned about gas mileage look for a PT without turbo and a standerd 5 speed and if you add a throttle body spacer and an air filter system that is fully open you will achieve a little more horsepower. If you keep your rpm as close to 2000 as possible or lower you can get 26 to 28 mpg in town and as high as 34 mpg on the highway.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.

Last edited by Decsr; 24 Apr 2009 at 05:22 pm.
Old 24 Apr 2009, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the good info! Will be taking it to the Chrysler dealer for a once over before I do anything rash.

Ran the VIN thru Carfax, it comes back as a Dream Cruiser 3!!
Old 24 Apr 2009, 05:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it's a Dream Cruiser 3 is should be 2 colors. A "Midnight Blue over Bright Silver with specially tinted windows having a slight blue tint.

2004 Chrysler PT Dream Cruiser Series 3

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Apr 2009 at 06:01 pm.