Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Something happened

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2009, 12:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Something happened

I'm driving to class the other day then all of the sudden I hear a pop sound. My radio goes off and on. Now I'm driving as if the car is in 1st gear when it's really in drive. WTF? Then when I make too sharp of a turn to the left or right my car goes OFF! WTF? Now I see the malfunction indicator light all the time. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow morning.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 05:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Something happened

The engine light can give you a code - turn key to "on" - right before start, back one click to off,
On
Off
on
In the mileage window you should get one or more codes like P0304 and then "done".
You should always get at least done.
Post the codes here or google them - it tells you what's wrong.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Apr 2009, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well a little too late to mess with it, I took it to the shop at 10A.M this morning. It took $65 to get it fixed.

They said the tranny needed some fluids so they topped it all off. They also recommended a transmission flush which I denied. Should I get it flushed?

Afterward I took my poor car to the car wash for a nice $30 interior and exterior wash to apologize for letting it go to the shop. I think my car forgives me because I got to work on time!
Old 25 Apr 2009, 07:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by polira View Post

They said the tranny needed some fluids so they topped it all off. They also recommended a transmission flush which I denied. Should I get it flushed?

Your going to have to give us more information to answer that question. but here goes.

The tranny is a weak link in the drive-train. A little preventive maintenance should make it last longer. Some would recommend sooner but most of us feel as though the 50,000 mile mark is when the transaxle should be flushed. That way you get all 16 qts changed rather than just 4 qts when you just drop the pan. We're talking somewhere around $150 + or - for a flush so it's not the cheapest thing you can do but when you consider a couple grand for a rebuilt tranny, it's worth it.

Make sure whoever does it uses ATF+4 .....nothing else. You can also use synthetic but you'll add another $50.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Your going to have to give us more information to answer that question. but here goes.

The tranny is a weak link in the drive-train. A little preventive maintenance should make it last longer. Some would recommend sooner but most of us feel as though the 50,000 mile mark is when the transaxle should be flushed. That way you get all 16 qts changed rather than just 4 qts when you just drop the pan. We're talking somewhere around $150 + or - for a flush so it's not the cheapest thing you can do but when you consider a couple grand for a rebuilt tranny, it's worth it.

Make sure whoever does it uses ATF+4 .....nothing else. You can also use synthetic but you'll add another $50.
Okay I may take it to Jiffy Lube for the transmission flush. Should I tell them or maybe even call ahead a time to make sure they use ATF+4 ? I will also get the synthetic. When I get my oil changes at Jiffy Lube I always get the more expensive (high mileage) version. That costs about $60 each time. Last time I got my oil changed they did recommend that I get the transmission flushed. I think it's time, my car has 86,000 miles.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 07:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Way past time. I cringe when you mention Jiffy Lube, but if your happy with them, Ask or call to see if they have the ATF+4 or the newer synthetic (I think it's ATF+5). They might say they have something that's similar but that'll be up to you if you go threw with it. Anything happens to the transaxle Chrysler's going to go for the type used and use it against you.

You've already seen what being a little low can do to the tranny. Imagine what it would do if you used the wrong type.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 25 Apr 2009 at 07:42 pm.
Old 25 Apr 2009, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Way past time. I cringe when you mention Jiffy Lube, but if your happy with them, Ask or call to see if they have the ATF+4 or the newer synthetic (I think it's ATF+5). They might say they have something that's similar but that'll be up to you if you go threw with it. Anything happens to the transaxle Chrysler's going to go for the type used and use it against you.

You've already seen what being a little low can do to the tranny. Imagine what it would do if you used the wrong type.
Great! Now I know what to do. I'll probably let Jiffy Lube flush the transmission with my next oil change (In about 2,800 more miles) I hope that isn't too long to wait. (We'll see)

As for Jiffy Lube, I've never been to the same Jiffy Lube twice until I moved here to East Meadow on February 1st. This Jiffy Lube is different. They actually vacuum the rugs like they are supposed to they don't try to sell me on things the same annoying way that other Jiffy Lubes have. I've experimented with various Jiffy Lube locations and this is the only location out of the 6 that I have tested where they do all of these things and even explain to you what they are doing and visually show you why they recommend certain things. Also, it's located right in front of Creative Car Wash on Hempstead Turnpike, and they must have some sort of partnership because you get a free exterior car wash with every oil change.