PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Luggage Rack question and trailer hitch question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2009, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Luggage Rack question and trailer hitch question

Hi everyone,

This is probably a stupid question (or at least one with an extremely simple answer). In the owners manual for my PT, it says to release the luggage rack and slide it forward. No matter what I've tried doing, I can't get it to release. Honestly, I've only tried it a couple of times, and figured I'd ask before I broke something off.

So, the luggage rack question is, how do I release the crossbars so I can slide them forward? I need to put a bike on top of the car for a short drive.

The trailer hitch question is, can anyone recommend a trailer hitch that is fairly cheap and easy to install? To be honest, I'm only going to use it to mount a bike carrier (unless they have a decent one that can mount to the bumper or back lift gate).

Thanks for the help, and have a great day
Patrick.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 03:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Luggage Rack question and trailer hitch question

There is a new add for selling some PT parts on here and here is what it said. You might want to call and make a offer on the hitch. Installing a hitch on a PT is real easy. Good Luck

(Just as I finished accessorizing my siliver 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo, along came an uninsured motorist and totaled it. Insurance company would not reimburse me for the pretties so I took off as much as I could. I have a chrome visor-paid $600. Chrome fender covers, PT door pulls, door guards, gas cap and more. Also a bumper hitch.
Make me an offer I can't refuse. 501 255-7341)

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It amazes me why people don't buy an owners manual when they buy a car if it didn't come with one.

Anyway, here's your answer: To move the crossbars, release the latches on the inboard side of the crossbar supports on each side of the vehicle, then move the crossbars to the desired position. Once the crossbars are in the desired position, return both latches to the locked position.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
It amazes me why people don't buy an owners manual when they buy a car if it didn't come with one.

Anyway, here's your answer: To move the crossbars, release the latches on the inboard side of the crossbar supports on each side of the vehicle, then move the crossbars to the desired position. Once the crossbars are in the desired position, return both latches to the locked position.
I should have made my original post a little clearer, I think. I have the owners manual and I've tried to release the latches (granted both times were in the middle of the night). I'm not sure if I push, pull in a specific direction or pop out to get them to release. That's what I was asking about here.

I'm going to go out and look at them right now (since it's daylight and not raining yet) and see if I can figure it out. I'm sure it's going to be something simple and obvious (usually is) and I'll be for not seeing it sooner.

Have a great day, and thanks for the help
Patrick.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 09:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Luggage Rack question and trailer hitch question

And, there is always.....WD40 !

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 26 Apr 2009, 09:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I figured it out. And yes, I beat my head against the wall, because in the daylight it's obvious.

In the dark, I couldn't see that you could push the levers towards the center of the two crossbars, so I was trying to pull them out (towards the center of the car) or towards the outside of the crossbars. I looked at it in the daylight, saw that it could pivot towards the center, and unlocked the front bar.

Now, I just have to put something over the bike pedals (I'm thinking old socks or something) and anchor it down. It only has to travel about 1 mile or so to the bike shop. There, I'll be purchasing a bike carrier and using that to take it everywhere else (which was the reason for part two of my original question).

Why don't I purchase the bike carrier first, you're thinking? Because the bike is a hand-me-down from a friend (who rebuilt it) and it may not be worth the cost to make the fixes that he couldn't do. Either way, I needed to know how to move the luggage crossbars, so this works out perfectly.

Have a great day and thanks for the replies.
Patrick.