Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C Failure after Timing Belt went

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2009, 06:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C Failure after Timing Belt went

OK, some Background: 2001 PT Cruiser, 108K miles generally very good shape. Major accident last July which damaged the fender, bumper, hood, rear wheel well, 3 wheels and bsasically most of the front end. (Got side hit on a bridge and run into the metal curb). Car was repaired by a friend who is a pro body man and mechanic, but it's not the same. They should have totalled it

Anyway, two weeks ago the timing belt went while driving home from work. Cost me $700 to fix as the cover was toast and it needed 2 upgrade kits, (idlers, etc). Got it back and it runs fine, but the A/C is dead. Compressor doesn't come on, click or anything. I brought it back to my buddy, and he checked all the fuses, wires, swapped out relays and could find nothing wroing electrically. He checked the freon level, (with a screwdriver), and said it seemed too low. I had checked it with one of those freon guages that comes with a can of freon and it showed high. (??). He says you can't trust those, so I bought some freon. Added the freon and no difference. Checked the guage on my Wife's 2001 Cruiser and it read slightly low. Added some freon to hers and hers is now working fine.

Not sure what to do at this point. I know that the compressor will cut out if there is too little and too much freon. Maybe too much now?? Too high pressure?? I've read that a bad fan or fan relay can cause the freon pressure to go up. Can I check this by reducing the freon levels????

Recent Heart patient so I don't want to go thru the summer with no A/C (in a black car). If I had known the A/C was toast along with a $700 bill for the timing belt I woulda thrown it on Craig's list.

Whatya think? Not throwing any more big $$$$ into this car.
Old 26 Apr 2009, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Failure after Timing Belt went

Forgot to mention that the A/C was working a few days before the belt went. JP
Old 27 Apr 2009, 08:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Most likely the compressor is either unplugged or the connector is damaged. Very easy to do when doing a timing belt. Could also be low pressure cycling switch.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 12:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartyblarfast View Post
Most likely the compressor is either unplugged or the connector is damaged. Very easy to do when doing a timing belt. Could also be low pressure cycling switch.

Agree. Mine was unplugged after the timing belt replacement.
Old 03 May 2009, 01:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yup, you both nailed it. After adding freon and basically giving up, I jacked up the car yesterday and there it was, a broken connector. I was able to put it back on and the A/C is a flowing!!! Thank YOU both very much!!!!! JP
Old 03 May 2009, 04:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypro View Post
Yup, you both nailed it. After adding freon and basically giving up, I jacked up the car yesterday and there it was, a broken connector. I was able to put it back on and the A/C is a flowing!!! Thank YOU both very much!!!!! JP
Glad to help. Happy A/C'ing.
Old 03 May 2009, 09:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypro View Post
The first timing belt I did, I did the same thing. Luckily I was able to fix it. If the compressor is unplugged before the repair you won't have a problem. It hits the fan shroud if left plugged it.