PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser, 105k, thinking about buying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2009, 02:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking 2002 PT Cruiser, 105k, thinking about buying...

Hey there,

I'm looking to buy a 2002 PT Cruiser, 105k... thing is, I don't know much about these cars. I'm not looking to spend too much in maintenance, etc., so I need a car that isn't gonna break down on me too much in the long run (I'm a college student).

Of course, I know to get the car inspected before I buy it, and to keep it maintained while I own it, but does anyone have any good advice regarding these cars? Should I purchase it (dealer wants $3900)? Is the mileage too high?
Should I purchase an extended warranty?

Thanks
Old 28 Apr 2009, 06:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser, 105k, thinking about buying...

I have a Mazda Miata with 109k+ on it and it still runs strong. Car engines today will last much longer than back in the 60's. The big key though is the maintenance; as long as it has been taken care of - the big thing will be the timing belt and plugs/wires, transmission flush, etc... If you can have the car checked out by a mechanic you trust, do it. Do a little search on line to find out the value of the car, then take 15% off and you'll have a reasonable resale price. $3900 sounds a tad high for the mileage; is it a Limited? Condition? I would not think an 'Extended Warranty' would be offered on a car with that mileage - be very careful of the wording.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

thinkinboutit, Welcome to the Forum.

Be very careful as the timing belt should have been changed by/at 100,000 miles, the parts and labor will run from $1000 up depending on where you go.

I helped my grand daughter buy a 2002 with 72,000 miles on it for $4,500, but it had timing belt, tensioner, water pump, new rotors on the front, new pads on the back, car had been a one owner. We got it from a auto shop who did all of the work, had a 30 day warranty. I felt the additional $$$'s was worth it as if she had to have the work done it would have cost her $1500 to repair & replace what would have been needed.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Apr 2009, 07:32 am
Cool Cruiser

I purchased my 2001 LE about 18 months ago with 115,000 miles. I've put another 15,000 in it since. The only items I replaced have been a battery, the tires and rims. The rims with the chrome ones and so pitted around the bead that they weren't going to hold air. Besides these items, the only real changes have been to a shorty antenna, after market backup lights, Airaid Cold Air System and some non emergency warning lights (I use a part of my volunteer role).

Mine drives great, runs great, has started every morning, winter and summer. I drive it daily.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 29 Apr 2009, 09:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinboutit View Post
Hey there,

I'm looking to buy a 2002 PT Cruiser, 105k... thing is, I don't know much about these cars. I'm not looking to spend too much in maintenance, etc., so I need a car that isn't gonna break down on me too much in the long run (I'm a college student).

Of course, I know to get the car inspected before I buy it, and to keep it maintained while I own it, but does anyone have any good advice regarding these cars? Should I purchase it (dealer wants $3900)? Is the mileage too high?
Should I purchase an extended warranty?

Thanks
Biggest issue would be the timing belt. I just had mine done a little early, at 92000 miles, ('04 Touring edition), but the peace of mind is worth it. The engine would be expensively destroyed if the timing belt were to break, as it is what they call an "interference" engine, where the valves would hit the pistons if the cam stops turning and the crank doesn't.

If you do the timing belt, also replace the water pump and idler, as it has to be torn down almost as far to replace them. Get it all done at once, and you're good for another 100,000 miles.

The only problems I've had with mine in nearly 100.000 miles is a bad rear wheel bearing (growling noise at about 50.000 miles), tie rod ends and a ball joint. I replaced the plugs and wires at 85,000 miles, and the front rotors and pads (went to ceramic pads, which are nice). Haven't touched the rear drums yet. My PT has been one of the best cars I've owned.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Biggest issue would be the timing belt. I just had mine done a little early, at 92000 miles, ('04 Touring edition), but the peace of mind is worth it. The engine would be expensively destroyed if the timing belt were to break, as it is what they call an "interference" engine, where the valves would hit the pistons if the cam stops turning and the crank doesn't.

Unfortunally the valves are not supposed to hit!!! As the engine is designed to not allow the valves to continue to operate. There have been some bent valves, but it is NOT a normal thing.

BTW, nobodysfool55, welcome to the Forum!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 Apr 2009, 02:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr

if you take care of your car, it'll take care of you

Old 29 Apr 2009, 08:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Mine has 68K and going strong,,, neighbor had 205K before engine timing belt snapped(ouch) he screwed up by not changing it at 200k(2nd one) anyway check it out thoughly -offer $3200= settle for $3500 if clean with a warranty for 3K -60days good luck! MJB