Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser 2.2 CRD COOLING ISSUE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2009, 02:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Cruiser 2.2 CRD COOLING ISSUE

i have the above mentioned car and am having an issue( i think) with the cooling on the engine. It seems to me to that the cooling system is not right, the fans seem, im my opinion, to kick in very early and the temperature gauge never really gets above 1/3rd of the way up the gauge usually just a tiny fraction over the 2nd line, and the heaters are not exactly what i would call hot either is this normal behaviour for this car/engine or is there an underlying problem i need to get investigated, any opinions would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 30 Apr 2009, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser 2.2 CRD COOLING ISSUE

Danny,

We here in the U.S. don't have the diesel engine and there might be something different with yours to turn the fan on early. A known problem with the heater not giving off heat is trapped air in the coolant system. The air stops the hot coolant from circulating into the evaporator and giving off heat.

Of course if the fans are cooling off the coolant to a point where the water doesn't reach operating temperature, that in itself would stop you from getting heat.

Doesn't the guage reach normal temperature (half way) when you stopped at idle for a few minutes? It if does, and your still not getting heat inside, then try the trapped air theory.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 May 2009, 08:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

hi no the temp gauge only seems to get to around about the 2nd line up from the stop
Old 01 May 2009, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

2nd line from the stop (bottom) if it's the same as ours, seems to be running cooler than normal and your saying it never gets hotter than that.

From my search through the internet your problem could stem from 3 different things. The thermostat, air in the coolant system and/or the heater control valve.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 May 2009, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok thats great thanks i shall investiagte further and keep you posted, hopefully it's something simple (and cheap lol) on a side note though it's the best car i've owned fantastic to drive i love it, just a little chilly in the winter lol
Old 01 May 2009, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just on a side note i don't suppose you have any ideas as to the whereabouts of the thermnostat on the 2.2 CRD
Old 01 May 2009, 02:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Danny,

All I can do is show you where ours is at and you can go from there. Good luck.

Old 03 May 2009, 07:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi i have an 04 pt and i love my pt but my car is overheating and i have replaced my fan coolant sensor thermostat and it continues to get hot
Old 03 May 2009, 07:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Miss ejd,

Please start a new thread on your problem. We are trying to help an owner with a diesel engine from overseas. If you go back to the main section under Tech and Performance or General Discussions and hit "New Thread" you can ask what you like about your problem.

We will need more information about your PT also. Mileage, maintenance performed, and if you did the work yourself of changing the thermostat and coolant sensor.

Old 04 May 2009, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Have you tried the uk sites

UK Cruisers

and

The Nothern Devils PT Cruiser Club

I am a member of both

It sounds like the stat is stuck open to me, but I would like to see the car.
Where abouts are you (I'm in Manchester)