PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0339 check engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2009, 09:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question P0339 check engine

Hello everyone.

I have 2003 PT Cruiser TE. My wife told me she took the car for a bit Saturday and the check engine light came on.

I used my code scanner and it threw me a P0339 - "Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Intermittent". No other codes. I asked her how the car was running lately and if she noticed any problems, she said it drives fine.

I figure for the light to come on the fault has to have happened more than once and just my luck, the car has to pass inspection this month.

Any ideas on this problem? Thanks for your help.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0339 check engine

Try taking the negative battery cable off for at least 5 minutes to reset the codes to see if it stays off.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 May 2009, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Try taking the negative battery cable off for at least 5 minutes to reset the codes to see if it stays off.
I will clear it with my scanner and see if it resurfaces.

It will fail inspection with the code stored anyway.
Old 04 May 2009, 04:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's why I suggested removing the negative cable, to clear the codes.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 May 2009, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
That's why I suggested removing the negative cable, to clear the codes.
How easy is it to replace the crankshaft sensor on my year model? Just curious.
Old 04 May 2009, 06:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscorp View Post
How easy is it to replace the crankshaft sensor on my year model? Just curious.
If they haven't changed it, doesn't look bad at all.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just wanted to post an update to this thread.

The problem has progressively gotten worse even after the crankshaft sensor wasd replaced and now my mechanic is talking about replacing the on-board computer.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscorp View Post
I just wanted to post an update to this thread.

The problem has progressively gotten worse even after the crankshaft sensor wasd replaced and now my mechanic is talking about replacing the on-board computer.
Was the sensor from a dealer? There have been many reports of bad aftermarket sensors. May give that a try first. Computer is expensive.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Feb 2010, 11:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Was the sensor from a dealer? There have been many reports of bad aftermarket sensors. May give that a try first. Computer is expensive.
That is exactly why I am bulking here. Replace computer = "I give up", in my head.

He didn't try to replace the cam sensor or check the timing belt. (Maybe it skipped a tooth.)

I thought about the aftermarket sensor, I will suggest that to him when I bring it back.

I don't really have much choice but to fix the problem. The car is financed.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 01:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How many miles? Crank & cam sensor codes do go with timing belt - if 90,000+ could be timing belt....