Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Couple of questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2009, 09:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Couple of questions

I have a 2004 Cruiser GT Turbo and right now it has 104000 thousand miles and I don't know if the Timing belt has been changed ( I got it last year with 94000 miles on it ). Is there any way to see if the belt has been changed? If the belt breaks while driving is the motor toast?
Also, my son burned me a new CD and I guess I blew out the pass side door speaker. Can I get a set from a dealer or should go aftermarket, are they hard to get at ( do I have to remove the complete door panel or is the speaker cover going to come off)?
I really enjoy this car, something I never would have thought, ( I'm an Impala guy ) so small on the outside and fairly roomy in the inside. I picked up a full size Chevy truck seat from the junkyard and was able to close the hatch. Lets see you do that in a Mini!
Old 04 May 2009, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Couple of questions

With regards to the timing belt; Without maintenance records I don't see how you would know the belt had been replaced. If unsure, replace it along with the water pump. I had both replaced when I did the head gasket. Far less expensive than having to replace the belt then the pump. While your at it, replace the serpentine belt too. IMHO. As far as the speaker, start listening to Kenny G.
Old 11 May 2009, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does anybody know if when the Timing belt breaks is there damage to the engine?
I other words when the top of the engine stops turning do the pistons beat the crap out of the valves?

Thanks for any answers in advance!!
Old 11 May 2009, 08:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldunclelar View Post
Does anybody know if when the Timing belt breaks is there damage to the engine?
I other words when the top of the engine stops turning do the pistons beat the crap out of the valves?

Thanks for any answers in advance!!

The PT 2.4 liter engine is a non-interference engine. The valves do not hit the piston heads if the timing belt breaks but the valves from both camshafts can hit each other (bend). Of all the owners that had the belt break, very few reported internal damage, but it can and does happen.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 May 2009, 03:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yteka99

I dont know about the belt but as for the speakers, go aftermarket. I got a set of inifiniti kappas in the front and a set in the back. Love them. Its really not hard to replace them at all. My door panel in my 01 came off with just a couple screws. The only thing i even had to think about was where to put the cross overs. I ended up using body tape to hold it to the inside of the door panels. Other than that its pretty straight forword, connect the wires screw in the speaker and put the panel back on. I can even send you pictures of what i did and how to do it if you want.