Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
RADIATOR LEAK;;; SUGGESTIONS::::

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2009, 12:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default RADIATOR LEAK;;; SUGGESTIONS::::

Ok it appears & after a pressure check my radiator may be leaking a tiny bit( I watch it regularly) It has a small amount of wetness on the battery tray & bottem cowl)-very small..anyway the dealer says $650.00 to do the job! OUCH!! has anyone changed one-how hard ? & I see they only cost about $200 on ebay... all help & suggestions welcome- ** still not definitely sure where its seeping though in my opinion,,,,,?**** anyone else ever have same issue??thanks again,,, '03-69K miles MJB
Old 13 May 2009, 12:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: RADIATOR LEAK;;; SUGGESTIONS::::

Just had to replace my RAD a few weeks back. I also replaced the upper and lower hoses at the same time. It was about a 4 hr job, the biggest issue is the old coolant. I would check around your area for a replacement RAD before I went the EBAY way. I got one for around $140 with tax here in Cincinnati.
02' Black Woodie Limited Edition Drop in K&N Air Filter w/air box mod. 06 tail lights, Limo tint all around, orange LED interior, Mopar 8 inch sub, Stull side pipes. Silver stars upfront, a little chrome
Old 13 May 2009, 01:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoach View Post
Just had to replace my RAD a few weeks back. I also replaced the upper and lower hoses at the same time. It was about a 4 hr job, the biggest issue is the old coolant. I would check around your area for a replacement RAD before I went the EBAY way. I got one for around $140 with tax here in Cincinnati.
OLD COACH: Did find it a hard job? I quess you got a very large pan? any tips would help..thanks MJB
Old 13 May 2009, 01:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Get a large plastic bucket. That is what I did when I emptied mine out to replace the fluid. Get some empty 2 liters bottles to and pour the old fluid off into them, the flush your system.
That radiator stuff is like poison.
Old 13 May 2009, 07:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the tips *** Ebay though has a few for $95 with shipping***NEW... curious though how tough of a job? Are bolts easy off..or is it a job where everything breaks & new bolts are needed? thanks again... MJB
Old 14 May 2009, 07:55 am
Young Cruiser

Somewheres on here there is a step by step to replace.I am getting set to do mine also as I have a leak in the same area.Looks like you have to pull the complete grill and such out of the front to replace.Iam going to set aside a sat and sunday to do it.We paid $78 on ebay with free shipping vs $128 local at Carquest
Old 14 May 2009, 08:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The radiator and fan housing are attached together, but you should be able to take them both out at the same time, from above. The electrical connection to the fan, the top piece over the radiator (with the hood latch) and the horizontal bar across the front of the radiator, the front grill plus the upper and lower hoses are the only thing in your way from lifting the radiator/fan housing up and out.

P.S. I don't have the stock air box so I'm not sure if that's in the way or not, but it's easy to take off.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 May 2009, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

iI your in a bind for money and the leak is not realy that bad just use black pepper and or egg white. Both will find the hole and stop the leak without hurting the engine. OLD TRICKS!
Old 14 May 2009, 08:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

HUH?? How many eggs?? How much Pepper?? never heard that one?? serious??
Old 14 May 2009, 09:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's also the old standby called "Stop Leak" that you can pick up at almost any auto store.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.