Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air Conditioner Impacting Engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2009, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air Conditioner Impacting Engine

I have a 2002 Limited Cruiser with 87,000 miles. Recently I've noticed a stutter in the engine whenever the air conditioner is running. The air conditioner is working fine, but heavily impacting the performance of the engine. While the AC is running while the car is in idle, I hear/feel a stutter. When I accelerate from a dead-stop, it will sometimes increase the RPM's, stutter, then all of the sudden accelerate very rapidly. The symptom is also noticeable whenever I'm traveling on the highway at around 60 mph (with the AC running)-- I will be "Cruisin'" along, attempt to accelerate, and the car will stutter, increase RPM's, the check engine light will flash (at this point I turn the AC off), then finally will accelerate. Anyone have any idea what this could be?
Old 14 May 2009, 01:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air Conditioner Impacting Engine

Welcome to the Forum ronnick9.

Most stutter of an engine is because of plugs or plug wires, that said, do you know when that has been done on your car? I had a stutter on my 2006 when it had less than 500 miles. I replaced the stock plugs with Champion Platinum 7570 set at .040 and MOPAR Performance wires and the stutter went away. There is a TSB suggesting that all spark gap be set at .040 rather than .050 as listed on the hood label.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 May 2009, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hooligan-- thanks for the warm welcome! I have only had the car for about 15,000 miles, and since I've owned it there has been no service to the plugs or plug wires. I keep up the routine maintenance such as oil changes, tire rotations, etc... What do you suggest I do to check the plugs and plug wires? I am car expert or idiot LOL-- but do understand the importance of maintenance to keep the car in good condition. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 14 May 2009, 05:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

As Hooligan suggested, and since you don't know the history of the PT, rather than check the ignition parts, just replace them. Under the Tech & Performance section we have a "sticky" on the top explaining the procedures of changing the plugs and wires. The upper intake does have to come off but don't let that scare you off as it's a pretty easy procedure if you follow the instructions.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 May 2009, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well everyone-- it's safe to say you were all right. Got my baby out of the shop today and she was indeed do for a tune-up, which she received (new plugs, plug wires, air filter, etc.). The stutter is gone and the AC can operate at full force. I also had my brakes checked out-- and the left front caliper was hung up, so they replaced it! All is good, for now! Thanks for the help/advice!
Old 21 May 2009, 10:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

well thats good that your PT is up and running good now. I dont even know when to change my Spark plugs, wires or anything since i replaced my 01 PT LE Engine for a GT Engine so i have no clue on when to get anything changed/replaced or anything