Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help window wiper fluid messing car up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 May 2009, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help window wiper fluid messing car up

I posted this on detail section, but no answer, so I will try here.

Hi, I have a 2007 Cool Vanilla PT Cruiser,, I just bought, I love it.. But Everytime I use my window wiper fluid.. It sprays blue wiper fluid drops all over my doors.. I am constantly cleaning it off. .Do you know if they sell wiper fluid in clear? I can't find any.. Plus what do you do to clean the chrome dash board? Thanks, Lisa
Old 14 May 2009, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help window wiper fluid messing car up

Lisa,

Everyone, including yourself, who comes to the forum sees every post that's new in every section. Just because there is no answer doesn't mean people didn't see it. In fact 27 different people did see your post and I would suspect didn't have an answer for you, including me. Every washer fluid that I've ever seen is blue, or green and couldn't post an answer for you as to where you might find clear fluid.

One thing you might do is re-aim the jets on the washer nozzle so they don't spray on your doors and stay on the front window.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 May 2009, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lisa, you do not need to post it two different places as most of us look at new posts and posting twice is just redundant.

I have never seen any other color than blue and I have been around a while. I's thinking that maybe your sprayers are partially closed up and may need to be cleaned up and that is breaking up your spray.

Of course, that isn't the question you asked.

Where is your chrome dashboard?? I have a 2008 Touring and had a 2006 Limited and neither had a chrome dashboard.

Crewzin, you must have posted as I was typing!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 14 May 2009, 08:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hello Lisa, I hate it too when the fluid runs all the way to and on the doors but I can't think of any thing we can do about it but keep a rag in the door pouch for cleaning it up.
As to the dash, both mine and my wife's is painted like yours, it is a very light colored silver paint with a high gloss clear coat and most any mild cleaner will do or even just a damp rag, I wipe mine down with the rag I just cleaned the windows with which has windex on it and it cleans it well.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 14 May 2009, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, very much DECSR, For the Kind and thoughtful reponse, I was beginning to regret coming here asking anything.. Thanks for at least trying to help and not making me feel like dirt, Thanks again:

As to the dash, both mine and my wife's is painted like yours, it is a very light colored silver paint with a high gloss clear coat and most any mild cleaner will do or even just a damp rag, I wipe mine down with the rag I just cleaned the windows with which has windex on it and it cleans it well. [/QUOTE
Old 14 May 2009, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't know what the dash board is made off, I didnt make the car.. I was just guessing what it looked like,, I will just google from now on my questions to see if I can get help. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Just a newbie owner looking for insight.. Again, 1 million apologies for asking dumb questions. I should know better Thanks!!!!!!
Old 14 May 2009, 08:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Your welcome Lisa

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 15 May 2009, 01:58 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Help window wiper fluid messing car up

Hey their Lisa,

Have no fear, Candyman is here!

Ok, First off, welcome to our Forum! This place is actually a really good resource for PT Questions, or just to simply hang out with some great PT People! If you have a question, and don't get a quick response, just give it a bit of time, and someone will eventually try to come up with an answer, or at least try to direct you to someone else who might be able to help! So just be patient, we haven't forgotten about ya!

Now, here is the rundown. I am going to attack your second question first on cleaning your dash, and work back to the windshield washer question second. So here we go.

A lot of professional Detailers use a bottle mixed 50/50 with distilled, or purified drinking water with Isubutyl or (Rubbing Alcohol) as a general purpose Quick Detailer Spray to remove anything from wax residue, cleaners, bugs, and any other types of foreign contaminates from paint, glass, chrome, and everything in between.

This is the same chemical composition found in most any store bought Quick Detailer Spray, and will work fine for general cleaning of your center dash, as well as most other areas both in and out of your PT. Just spray and wipe down with a good clean Microfiber rag folded into four, and you are good to go.

After you clean the painted , and molded parts of your dash, it might be a good idea to protect the vinyl parts with a good dressing. I would recommend staying away from solvent, or oil based dressings inside like Armor All, etc because they tend to leave the surface oily which is kind of messy, and also loves to collect dust. Instead look at the labels and see if you can find a water based Dressing. They may be a little harder to find, but well worth the effort.

Whatever type of dressing you wind up with weather it be water based, or solvent based, I recommend again mixing it 50/50 with distilled water to reduce the consistency, and give a nice low gloss sheen while providing good protection. Application is much the same. Spray the dressing directly onto a clean Microfiber Rag folded into four to make sure you don't get overspray all over your windows and create more work, and wipe down your dash, and all the rest of the plastic, and vinyl components except for Leather Seats if your car is equipped. Most Leather is still actually better quality vinyl, but its a bit different and some dressings can bring up colors within the material, and/or dry out material causing irreversible damage! If you need more information on Leather, please let me know, and I would be more than happy to do a write up.

Two little quick tricks since we are talking interior cleaning: If you want your PT to smell great, A bunch of Professional Detailer's stand by Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer Spray as being as close as they have found to the coveted New Car Smell, and is also a great general purpose interior cleaner for wiping everything down, and keeping things clean. Another good trick I used to use in my Shop was to place two scented dryer sheets under the front seats which gives a really pleasant freshly washed smell without getting too over bearing like many air fresheners tend to do.

Now on to the Windshield Washer Fluid. For general everyday use, I would fall back on the same half water, half Isobutyl (Rubbing Alcohol mixture. Simply grab a gallon of drinking water, and two quarts of Rubbing Alcohol from the store. Pour half the water into another container, pour the two courts of Rubbing Alcohol into the Gallon of water, replace the cap and shake well. Fill the resevoar on your PT and you now have a good clear windshield washer spray. You are still most likely going to get some overspray from the nozzle jets but it will not stain your paint, and will clean up easily with a simple clean Microfiber Rag to a nice streak free finish.

One more thing you can do to help visibility that I used to do in my Shop was, while waxing your PT, apply a quick coat of good was to your windows, and especially your windshield. Your Windshield contains Plastics to help prevent shattering during a collision. Their are a ton of what are known as Airborne Parasitic Contaminants like hot microscopic Brake Dust created from other vehicles around you every day. Those contaminants love to attach themselves to your paint, plastic, and anything else it can, and results in a semi rough feel when you run your finger across your windshield, or paint. Water, dirt, snow, ice, dew, and so on love to attach to these rough surfaces. Add a layer of dust and you have a mess as the dust turns into a fine muddy streaky mess. By applying a coat of wax on your windshield you are creating a temporary invisible barrier making the windshield glass nice and smooth. Rain water will bead up and when you are traveling down the freeway you will find you use the wipers half as much as water won't stick to the glass. If you need to use your Wipers, their will be a lot less friction against the rubber so they will work much better and produce much less streaking than on untreated glass! All you need is a good Carnuba Paste Wax, an Applicator Pad, and a clean Microfiber Rag to wipe the wax off. Apply by hand to the entire Windshield, let it dry thoughtfully to an even white haze, and wipe clean. If you live in an area with warmer temperatures I recommend about 3-5 full minutes to dry. In colder climates, 5-7 full minutes. If the wax dries and is too hard to remove, grab that mix of water and Rubbing Alcohol and give a quick spray. Wax will usually last between 30 - 60 days before its effectiveness wears down and needs re-application. If you would like more protection you also may use Paint Sealant which can last from 6 months to a year before needing re-application but is more expensive. As an alternative, if you already have or use a Clay Bar as part of your normal Detainling Process, this achieves the same desired effect and is great on all windows, and paint on your PT!

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as best, and complete answer to your questions as possible! If you have any more Detailing Questions, or Paint and Body Questions, please check out my whole Detailing Library at the top of this Forum Category, and if you can't find a good answer to a specific question, please feel free to drop me a line here, or via E-Mail and I would be more than happy to try to answer any questions you may have!

That is my two cents anyways for better or worse. You go easy, and I hope to maybe see ya around here in the future! You are always more than welcome anytime!

Go easy and I will catch ya later on.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 15 May 2009, 12:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yteka99

I bought yellow fluid at auto-zone. But it was for winter so idk if you can still get it or not. that might not be as noticable tho
Old 20 May 2009, 01:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

i had that problem too at one point, after not using the squirters for a summer and then used in winter with the de-icer fluid i noticed it sprayed everywhere. but i replaced them and i found out that there was a small rock in the one sprayer and idk how a rock could get in it and get stuck but thats what 1 problem was. another part of the problem was that over time they could wear out and just clog a lil and cause to spray in places you dont want it to.

so you could do one of the 2 things.

1. have your mechanic Re-adjust them or..
2. get new ones.