Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Body shop know it all

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2009, 07:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Body shop know it all

Let me start from the beginning. While I was on my to Gatlinburg when ran into some hail and the car got nicked up pretty good (hood, fenders, bumper, windshield). I have an appointment for Tuesday morning for the Allstate adjuster to look at it. I decided to take it to the shop that I would like do the work give me an estimate to compare with what the adjuster offers me. Guy walks outside, looks at car and asks, "Where's the damage?" I start pointing out the numerous chips on my hood (there have to be about 40). He quickly interrupts me to say, "that is NOT hail damage, I have been in this business 19 years and hail does not chip paint." So according to him driving at 50mph with ice falling from the sky will not chip the paint.
Old 29 May 2009, 09:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Body shop know it all

Let him look at mine. It had hail damage last year and the shop kept the car for 4 days. Luckily insurance covered the $2000 repair and their are several places where paint got chipped. They got out the dents but didn't touchup the chips. And there were a ton of chips to get out too.
Old 29 May 2009, 09:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Funny thing about that...back a couple years ago, my husband and I were in Colorado in my convertible Eclipse and drove through a TERRIBLE hail storm. I thought for sure that my car was going to be dented and damaged from the hail. We drove about 30 mph. Would you believe that there wasn't a scratch nor ding anywhere. We were baffled.
Old 30 May 2009, 06:31 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Body shop know it all

Hey their lowpt,

Sorry to hear about the damage. This is kinda one of those times where pictures are helpful to give you a bit better advice on the damage but I can try to take a stab at it here, and offer my thoughts sight unseen.

First off, I hate to be blunt, but your Body Shop Guy honestly doesn't sound to me like he may be the sharpest tool in the shed! TO give him the benefit of the doubt, I believe he is looking at your damage, and envisioning the hundreds of dreaded little telltale pits left all over a ride after a good sized hail storm, where as by your general description sounds like it more so has paint chipping in addition to probably some pitting. In my view of it, if you are driving through a good hail storm at around 50 MPH, then I would think it would be kinda hard not to nick up some paint with multiple high speed impacts of chunks of ice crystals! One question I have is, are you going to meet with your Adjuster at home, or at the Body Shop? I know many Adjusters lean more towards meeting, and going over a walk over with whoever is going to be doing the actual work to make sure everything is on the up and up. With this said, if you have someone who starts running off with a comment like " I have been in business for X amount of years, and this doesn't look like hail damage to me", then it may very well have a negative impact on your Adjuster! With this said, I would maybe try to shop around a bit for a few other choices for Shops to fix your Ride. If you would like a good referral, maybe try looking up a Paint & Body Shop Supply Store. They usually supply all the Paints, and Supplies to most of the local Shops, and always have a pretty good handle on who is legit, and does good work, and who are the problems out their, and are usually straight up about it! Also, as I always say, look carefully around the Shop, and see if everything is in order! Ask to see other vehicles they are currently working on, about warranties on materials and labor, don't be afraid to ask questions, and if anything feels not right, walk away and find someone else! In fact, a good rule of thumb when it comes to Shops, and often Insurance Companies as well is to try to have three written estimates for a higher dollar repair. In your case, that should give you a few options for who does the repair work. Once you get a few write ups, I would then narrow it down to who looks like your best guy, pick a good #2 Guy, and then sleep on it before you make a firm decision on who you want to work with. If you need more time to find a better Shop you are more comfortable with, I would try to reschedule your appointment for a few days. The Adjuster can wait, and the damage is already done. It is a good idea for you to have your ducks all lined up in a row so you can take control, and get the Job done right! Another couple of great tips for you are to make sure you are present with the Adjuster, and whoever is going to do the work, and to show how critical on getting the job done correctly the first time, I go out their to your ride with a roll of painters tape, and put a small piece of tape right beside every single nick you can possibly find, and then take a couple of pictures of all the taped off damaged areas. That way when you meet up with everyone, you are all clearly on the same page, they know you are paing close attention, and no one can come back with saying "I didn't know about that damage, or something like that, and you have pic's to cover yourself on top of that!

Past that, if the damage is bad enough to need to replace body parts like the hood, fenders, and so on rather than a little light hammering out, then I would big time make double sure you make very clear that you want "OEM" Parts, and only "OEM" Parts used on your ride! Their are both OEM Parts, and Aftermarket Parts available as replacement parts for Body Repair. OEM is the same parts that came off your ride with the same strength and quality, but are more money. Aftermarket are much cheaper in cost, and are made from much lighter, less strong material that look like the part in every way but are little more than a cheap knock off! On top of that Aftermarket OEM Replacement Body Parts are very well known for causing a huge amount of extra hours of hard work getting parts to line up correctly so be very careful if your Ride comes to ordering Body Parts!

Next, from what you said, it sounds like you will be looking at having pretty much the whole front end re-painted. You might be able to get away with blending in a little but for me, I would be ready to shoot the hod, grille, bumper and lower valence, both front fenders, and then blend into about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into both front doors, and also into the roof to help blend in the slight offness of new paint.

Lastly, any time you have a big project where you have had your Ride in paint & Body work done, even if you are all excited to have your newly fixed Ride back, I would hugely recommend going over everything with a fine tooth comb! Check for color uniformity and matching, and if the paint has any defectslikee small dimples, and spec's of dirt that are actually on the surface under the paint, and so on. If at all possible try to see the paint under florescent lights in the Shop as florescent lights are one of the best ways to see defects, and to make sure the body panels are completely straight! The Sun is often too bright to see these defects, and you could miss something. If you can't see it under the Shop Lights, then the next best thing is to swing by a Grocery Store, or somewhere with a lit parking lot where you can park under their lights to see. The big thing here is to make extreamly sure the full job was done, and was done to your satisfaction, hopefully before you sign off and except the vehicle as done! If you have any problems, or questions don't be afraid to speak up! YOu do not under any circumstances need to say ok to less than adiquate workmanship within reason ever, or pick up a vehicle that was not fully repaired in accordance with the damage incurred!

That is my two cents anyways. I wish you the best of luck, be very careful, and please let me know how you make out.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 30 May 2009, 06:43 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Body shop know it all

Hey their tandt14,

It sounds like you guys got lucky. Their are actually a lot of Manufacturers these days using cool new high tech undercoatings that go on under the paint, and has a material known as a Flex Agent which basically allows the paint to actually flex if a small object comes into contact with the surface of the car. Combine that with better engineered molded Body Panels, made from better stronger materials with these new paints, and undercoatings, and you can get some pretty cool really highly resilliant paint jobs out their today! I believe Saturn first used, and developed the technology in conjunction with the PPG (one of the largest Automotive Paint Companies in the World along side Dupont) to make a better, longer lasting product!

You should see some of the new crazy paint stuff they are working on! Its pretty crazy for sure!

Anyways, you go easy, and I will catch you around!

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 31 May 2009, 01:29 am
Young Cruiser

No kidding, we were lucky. This was back in 2004 and our car was 1996 Eclipse convertible. I thought that she was ruined for sure.

The same year, back at home in Alabama we had a pitiful little hail storm and it dented the heck out of my 2004 Altima rental. What a nightmare.