Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC Only Blows Cold While Moving....

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2009, 01:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC Only Blows Cold While Moving....

Just had the refrigerant checked - was a pound down. The tech said the compressor was going. $1300 parts/labor which seems like BS to me.

Hard to believe on a car w/ 40,000 miles. Why would it only blow cold while the vehicle is moving? Blows cold and strong while moving.
Old 31 May 2009, 02:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: AC Only Blows Cold While Moving....

Cooling fan is not working. Excess pressure has caused venting. Very common problem.
Old 31 May 2009, 04:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'll second Slarty and the fan, 'cause that's what happened with mine!

Cool air coming through while you're moving, right? Then nothing while you're stopped? Yep, it's the fan.
Old 31 May 2009, 04:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

I should have added: the cool air comes through while in motion BECAUSE of the motion: the air you're driving into is the only thing cooling the motor. While stopped, there's no air being forced over it (which is what the fan is supposed to do!), and that's why no ac unless the car is moving.
Old 31 May 2009, 06:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Yep, it's the fan. Had the same problem, changed the fan, everything was fine again.
Old 01 Jun 2009, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Could the fan work intermittently? Drove 200 miles today and it seemed ok. Still blew cold air when the car was at a stop - colder rf course when the compressor was cycled on.
Old 01 Jun 2009, 09:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet2003 View Post
Could the fan work intermittently? Drove 200 miles today and it seemed ok. Still blew cold air when the car was at a stop - colder rf course when the compressor was cycled on.
Yes... but not the way you think. If the engine gets hot enough top turn on the fan then while you are at idle the fan will run on low speed till it cools off then turns off. So it could appear that it works intermittantly. That along with the freon being low....
Old 02 Jun 2009, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So what is the fix for the fan not working???? I'm having somewhat of a similar problem except my AC totally quit working.....with smoke and everything. If I look at the compressor there is no belt going around it. But even with that the car is over heating because the fan is not working. So....what is the fix for the fan?????

Please, please help!!!! Thanks!
Old 02 Jun 2009, 06:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06PT View Post
So what is the fix for the fan not working???? I'm having somewhat of a similar problem except my AC totally quit working.....with smoke and everything. If I look at the compressor there is no belt going around it. But even with that the car is over heating because the fan is not working. So....what is the fix for the fan?????

Please, please help!!!! Thanks!
The fan not working is probably a burnt out fan motor. You can buy just the motor or the whole shroud with fan and motor together.

You big problem is that if there's no belt on the compressor, that's the serpentine belt that drives everything except the alternator. You shouldn't be able to drive at all.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 08:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The fan not working is probably a burnt out fan motor. You can buy just the motor or the whole shroud with fan and motor together.

You big problem is that if there's no belt on the compressor, that's the serpentine belt that drives everything except the alternator. You shouldn't be able to drive at all.
Well I was able to get under it and you are correct that there actually is a belt on there So....I was looking at the fan shroud and I have a big question....... if I undo the bolts, will the whole shroud just slide out without taking the radiator hoses off? If it does then I could change the fan motor???

EDIT: I looked up online for fans - autozone and advanced auto parts have several different fan sizes, 9", 10" and 12" but I went out and meassured mine and it was 16"??
I believe this is the correct one (16").....
FAN ELECT REVERSE by Mr. Gasket - Part 17360081 - Advance Auto Parts

Last edited by 06PT; 02 Jun 2009 at 09:47 pm.