Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Loud clunk from suspension since replace lower control arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2009, 10:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Loud clunk from suspension since replace lower control arms

Has anyone experenced a loud clunking sound after replacing the stock lower control arms?

I recently replaced my lower control arms on my '05 vert with standard aftermarket parts from Autozone (same brand of control arms is carried at most parts stores). Since then when I go over a bump or turn sharply, there is a loud clunk, almost sounds like something is loose. Also the clunk can be felt in the structure of the car.

Since replacing the lower control arms, i have replaced the steering rack, sway bar end links and struts trying to solve this, to no help.

There is nothing loose, as that is what I first thought, and have subsequently dismantled and re-assemblied the entire front end two more times (once to check everything, second for the rack and pinion). I am at a total loss.

The noise mostly comes from one side, but if a turn the car back and forth pretty fast when driving, i can make both sides make the noise. The noise is very metalllic, almost sounds like something hitting the frame (although there is no real frame on this car).

Just figured I would ask.
Old 08 Nov 2009, 09:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Loud clunk from suspension since replace lower control arms

Thats the same noise I have. I replaced the passenger side bushings and now I have the clunk on that same side.

Any ideas? I am trying to figure this out today.
Old 08 Nov 2009, 12:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Most likely the big bolt on the back side is not tight enough. It needs to be RFT. Could be the sway bar links also.
Old 08 Nov 2009, 01:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoodengr View Post
Has anyone experenced a loud clunking sound after replacing the stock lower control arms?

I recently replaced my lower control arms on my '05 vert with standard aftermarket parts from Autozone (same brand of control arms is carried at most parts stores). Since then when I go over a bump or turn sharply, there is a loud clunk, almost sounds like something is loose. Also the clunk can be felt in the structure of the car.

Since replacing the lower control arms, i have replaced the steering rack, sway bar end links and struts trying to solve this, to no help.

There is nothing loose, as that is what I first thought, and have subsequently dismantled and re-assemblied the entire front end two more times (once to check everything, second for the rack and pinion). I am at a total loss.

The noise mostly comes from one side, but if a turn the car back and forth pretty fast when driving, i can make both sides make the noise. The noise is very metalllic, almost sounds like something hitting the frame (although there is no real frame on this car).

Just figured I would ask.
been there done that, what the problem is that the top strut mount was rotated in the wrong position when you reinstalled the strut onto the mount, it's hitting the inside wheel well while turning causing the clunt. to prove this is just hold onto the strut while somebody turns the steering wheel from side to side, you will feel the mount hit.
Old 09 Nov 2009, 08:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

For me it was cheap china parts from Rock Auto. Everything I got from Rock Auto was defective in some way. Caution, most of the local autoparts stores sell the same cheap china control arms. I replaced the control arms that I purchased from Rock Auto with OEM control arms from Chrysler and no more noise.
No there was nothing loose, no it was not another part, no it could not be anything but defective china control arms. I tore apart my front end no less than 5 times trying to fix this noise. Ending up replacing the following chaising this noise, control arms, struts, steering rack, swaybar bushings, rotors. And it turned out to be the first thing I replaced, the control arms.

Get some OEM control arms.